For all those wanting a turbo - STS is universal

• I received an email from Brandon Christiansen about my inquiry about a TT setup for the V12. His reply:
    ---

We have a universal kit available now that you can work with. It includes everything but the piping and tuning. Any exhaust shop would be able to assist you with the charge pipe. Tuning would be left up to you but the fact that it is a manual transmission car will help greatly. We have been speaking with Conforti about our upcoming E46 3 series coupe but I'm not sure what's out there for the V12.

The Twin turbo universal kit retails for $4788 and again gets you the turbo's (2, T3/T4 hybrid), our patented oil system with lines, warning system and PCV system, Air filter kit, Tial wastegate and optional blow-off valve, and generic installation hardware.

Our kits come base at 5psi and at that level with a propper tune you can expect to see an additional 80-120hp at the rear wheels.
    ---

Posters here and at ROADFLY ask quite often about superchagers and turbos. STS turbo systems are useless for Japanese sports cars, but I find their system to be the solution to finding more power without paying the ridiculous prices demanded by German tuners.

• Sorry, but for me it looks like huge joke. For thermal efficiency all manufacturers are trying to mount turbocharger as close as possible to the engine. Also with configuration like that the turbo lag will be huge. Absolutely useless idea in my opinion.

• Normally, it is a crappy idea but the V12 in the 8-Series engine bay leaves little room and the STS system does work much better than I imagined. I cannot think of another car off the top of my head that would be beneficial to use this setup but for the V12, you have STS, Dinan (if they feel like it), or nothing. I posted it becase options 2 and 3 are not appealing.

• I.e. in Ford Cosworth YB engine difference is qute noticable when you change exhaust manifold from 4WD to 2WD and it is only around 500 mm of lengh. No way that there is huge turbo lag. And there is enough space in engine bay for turbos. Crappy idea.
    Jan

• Zitat von scourge

Then make and market a better twin-turbo setup for less money. Until then, you complaining about it means absolutely squat. :roll:

Please try calm down and think about it. This system can not works properly because of wrong idea. And low price is not changing it at all. Of course if you want to have huge turbo lag with adittional ca. 100 bhp - o.k. but I'm afraid that you have never driven the car with really big turbo (it is giving qutie similar efect). It is pig to drive in normal traffic. In that matter I really know what I'm saying. Belive me.
    Jan

• I don't need to think about it. I already know that it is not the most efficient system and would be stupid to put on any other car.Had you bothered to read my replies, you would have already known that.

I owned an R32 Skyline GTS4 when I still lived in Japan so I am more than well aware of what driving a turbo is like. The STS does not have one big turbo but rather two small ones that would be ridiculous to use in 99.99% other cars. That is not in debate.

However, until YOU come up with a better option than STS for twin-turbocharing a V12, your mockery of it carries absolutely no weight. STS has proven results while your empty criticism of it has produced what exactly? :roll:

• It is very clear for me when I'm reading your posts that your technical knowledge about turbocharging is on very basic level so you just can't imagine what results is giving turbo configuration like that. Just answer yourself on very simple question why nobody else is trying to do it that way. It is looks that you have financial interest in STS.
    "However, until YOU come up with a better option than STS for twin-turbocharing a V12, your mockery of it carries absolutely no weight."
    What's the point? If something is based on false theory I shoud inform other forum users about this. It is open forum and this is not your private topic. And please respect different point of view without comments like above.
    Jan

• Any particular reason you wouldn't just use a supercharger?

"Rommel" - 1999 BMW 840Ci(A) Sport Individual - Alpina wheels, Alcon brakes, ACS/Dinan suspension
    "The Beast" - 2005 BMW-Alpina B5 Touring #007 - Malachite Green

• Zitat von Hythe

Any particular reason you wouldn't just use a supercharger?

Room alongside the front of the engine seems to be the major drawback. I have seen a few pictures of a dual supercharger 850 and it looked like trying to get 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag :(

The V8 is easier to supercharge :)

The V12 has more room under than over and is considered a better bet to turbocharge. Manifolds are being developed by a couple of enthusiasts in the US to make it ea$y to install the turbos without being an engineer.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Sounds like a nightmare (and possibly a bonfire) in the making...

If you want 500+bhp, buy a Porsche. Or, if you want to do it in real style, buy an older Aston!

In my case, I just bought a new Alpina for my 500+ kicks! :)

"Rommel" - 1999 BMW 840Ci(A) Sport Individual - Alpina wheels, Alcon brakes, ACS/Dinan suspension
    "The Beast" - 2005 BMW-Alpina B5 Touring #007 - Malachite Green

• Zitat von Yaninnya

It is very clear for me when I'm reading your posts that your technical knowledge about turbocharging is on very basic level so you just can't imagine what results is giving turbo configuration like that.

It seems very clear to me that you're just a typical pompous Brit trying to appear more sophisticated than you really are. I am more than well aware of turbocharching just as I am more than well aware that you are completely ignorant as to the real world performance of the STS turbo system.

Zitat

Just answer yourself on very simple question why nobody else is trying to do it that way.

And ask yourself a very simple question why is it that there is no one trying to make a turbo setup of the V12 in any other configuration? Ask yourself why is it that there are not countless BMW turbo suppliers, Corvette suppliers, or even Silverado suppliers. Had you done so, you would not be so hell-bent now on being such a cock. This turbo configuration's usefulness is confined to only a small number of vehicles - something that even STS admits.

Zitat

It is looks that you have financial interest in STS.

It looks like you don't have a clue. You claim to be from the UK and yet you're ability to read and comprehend English is so far non-existent.

Zitat

"However, until YOU come up with a better option than STS for twin-turbocharing a V12, your mockery of it carries absolutely no weight."

What's the point? If something is based on false theory I shoud inform other forum users about this.

STS has proven their system. Your complete and total ignorance of this fact in no way negates it. You're the one acting like you have some special knowledge that no one else here has which is beyond laughable. No, the STS system is not the most efficient design setup ever created but it does exist and it does work. Your continual mocking of it out of your pitiful state of ignorance does nothing to advance anyone's quest to find more power.

Zitat

It is open forum and this is not your private topic. And please respect different point of view without comments like above.

Again with the unfounded Brit hubris. :roll: You may continue to parade your ignorance as though it were a badge of honor all you like. And, I shall continue to call you the useless poster that you are by continuing to offer only criticism about a proven system while you offer nothing of substance in return.

• scourge
    i like the idea and think there will be no turbo leg at all because it has already passed through all muflers. Infact i think the car will run just normal until it hits boost at around 4 grand and then you are glued to the seat, and to get a extra 100bhp at the rear wheel is all i need. Having said that, im no expert on turbos and this is just my opinion.

Let us know if go ahead with the setup or find more info on this

• Zitat von zm850i

Let us know if go ahead with the setup or find more info on this

This is why I posted the STS system, just to let others know of its existence and make their own judgements on whether or not they would want to go that route. Honestly, other than a Corvette or 8-Series (V-12), I could not see using this setup myself as for the cars that I am interested in, proven under-hood setups already exist. STS offers no benefits over current systems.

However, it is for the V12 that I see this as a possible useful turbo setup. For the V8, superchargers exist negating any reason to use STS. Here in the US, Horse Power Television just installed the STS twin-turbo setup on a Corvette where it did indeed put out a great deal more power (proven via dyno) and they reported there was not the turbo lag that they were expecting.

No, it is not the ideal setup, but there does not exist any other power adder on the market for the V12 (Dinan no longer makes TT kits) other than to custom fab a very expensive system that may or may not work. Those in Europe unfamiliar with STS should educate themselves about it before constantly criticizing without offering any other alternative.

Perhaps alternatives that are abundant and inexpensive (as the STS system) do exist in Europe, but no one has as of yet been able to make others aware of them. Until then, the STS is a viable alternative.

• Now it is absolutely clear for me what sort of person you are... And I was trying to help you in another topic... And you are even too lazy to check my forum profile... My gratulations! EOT

• I've just caught up with this thread , without doubt the most amusing article on this site :D

Keep it up boys :shock:

But for those of us true 8 series enthusiasts who cant dip their hand in their pockets to the tune of 60k ++++ to buy the very latest technology from BMW & Alpina, we have to look to more mundane measuress to get our motors moving that much quicker, be it Supercharged or Twin Turbo'ed ITS THE ONLY WAY TO GO :lol::lol::lol:

Yours truly

The Devils Advocate :D

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Zitat von Yaninnya

Now it is absolutely clear for me what sort of person you are... And I was trying to help you in another topic... And you are even too lazy to check my forum profile... My gratulations! EOT

Being a pompous ass is in no way being helpful. All you can do is criticize and act like you know more about turbocharching than others here - a totally uselss manner to present yourself. I need not look at your profile as your words here say all that need be said.

Zitat von stevep840

But for those of us true 8 series enthusiasts who cant dip their hand in their pockets to the tune of 60k ++++ to buy the very latest technology from BMW & Alpina, we have to look to more mundane measuress to get our motors moving that much quicker, be it Supercharged or Twin Turbo'ed ITS THE ONLY WAY TO GO

And this is why I posted the information about STS. How anyone could be such a cock about opposing a proven system that costs much less than anything by Dinan/Alpina/custom is beyond me. Well, perhaps he works for one of those companies and does not wish others to consider STS on its merits. :roll:

• Zitat von stevep840

it Supercharged or Twin Turbo'ed ITS THE ONLY WAY TO GO

That is what I was trying to explain more or less sucsessful (mostly less) to this "gentleman".
    Other option are also traditional na modifications with increasing capacity but here you need to really know what are you doing because of very big ports, long primaries in inlet manifolds, nessesary of building tubular exhaust manifolds, etc. Not something for beginners.
    Jan

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!