Grinding / rubbing noise from rear of car PART TWO

• This noise has been driving me insane. I have spent sleepless nights trying to work out what it could be, spent hours listening to it in the car, spent hours trying to find the cause in my driveway, and sadly spent A LOT of money replacing bushes in an effort to irradicate it.

At first I thought it was dry linkages - so had these drenched in oil.
    Then I thought it might be sticking rear Brake Shoes, so had these adjusted
    Hmmm, maybe its the suspension, so replaced these all round.
    Took it to Stealers, they checked it out and diagonsed 1300 squids to fix the noise, so took it to leading BMW Indy in my area and paid 650 big ones instead for same work. Guess what the squeak was still there, albeit slightly reduced because of the new shockers providing less overall movement.

So thoroughly demoralised I admitted defeat, and turned my radio up.

Then I drove to London yesterday with a fully loaded boot/trunk, crammed full of boxes for a customer of mine. The noise had completely disappeared....

It simply had to be something loose in the boot/trunk, so I checked every possible nook and cranny and found nothing. I oiled the hinges of the boot and still nothing. Then with the boot still open, I sit on the tailgate, head in hands, and ....... squeak :shock:

Turns out that large plastic moulding that runs across the rear of the interior of the boot, and touches the metal base of the boot was the source of the noise. I greased the contact point, went for a spin, and..... blissful silence.

I am now torn between happiness and despair (at what I could have bought for the money I'd chucked at this problem.)

There is a lesson for us all in here, though my guess it that most of you have a similar tale.

It would make me feel better if you shared them with me / the board :lol::lol:

• Tony i cant even beginn to recall the amount of money i have splashed out on mine in order to solve a problem or 2 :shock:

The latest being the bolts & locknuts which locate the floating brake discs to the alloy bells , the was this obvious rattle , it was suggested the lock nuts could have been faulty :x so i ordered from AP Racing 2 new retaining kits £49 later & still Ratling :shock: i guess i'm going to have to get use to it :(

But i'm impressed you have had a result with yours :D

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Hi Tony,

That is an amazing/horrible story. There is a possive note to it though. Since you've got everything replaced at least you know they won't be up for replacement anytime soon. Maybe it's just some peace of mind.

I still have trouble with the drive shaft, still banging around at 2500 revs. I bought one on ebay, but when I got the one out which should be replaced, it looked perfectly ok. And the one from ebay turned out to be the wrong one. Then I read through every thread on this site that mentioned drive shaft or prop shaft and got some more clues. So, I had the engine, gearbox and diff mountings checked...... Alas still banging its way trough the revs. Next week I'll have it realigned for only 91 Euro's. If this solves the problem I can only be happy.

Cheers,

Peter

• I think a lot of the 'troubles' associated with 'noises' etc in 8s is that we as owners expect more from these cars, or less (noise) as it were.

I drive my 2000 VW T4 van all round the UK but because it's a van I put up with an orchestra of noises and shakes. I mostly know where they are coming from but simply do not care. Then when I get home and go for a spin in the 8 I expect, and need, silence :lol:

That said, I now have great shocks, and a host of new stuff hanging off the underside of my ride which was going to fail sooner or later - I did see the perished rubber bushes and the play these caused with my own eyes when it was on the mechanic's lift.

But the thing that set me off on this expensive quest was solved with no more than a can of spray lube, costing less than a pint of beer 8)

Classic :lol:

• Always good to read of a problem solved - even if it was a long and expensive route to success.

Reading a forum like ours tends to highlight problems which could give the impression that these cars aren't that reliable.

So far (touch wood) apart from my post purchase warranty visit to BMW, mine hasn't put a foot wrong (throw salt over my shoulder, cross all available appendages) and has been an absolute pleasure to own and drive.

I'm sure that's true for most of us for most of the time - or am I living in my own dreamland?

• Zitat von ukzero

So far (touch wood) apart from my post purchase warranty visit to BMW, mine hasn't put a foot wrong (throw salt over my shoulder, cross all available appendages) and has been an absolute pleasure to own and drive.

oh dear oh dear, you have gone and said it now...... :lol:

Just thought I'd mention I've changed my rear tyres now from 285/35/19 to 265/30/19s. Since I put 235/35/19s on front (to get the wheels to fit) I have had a few ASC freak outs recently, plus the speedo and OBC readings had gone hay-wire. Everything back to normal though now, and the car doesnt look like a pumped up dragster either - which is nice.

The lesson here is that M6 wheels do fit, but the associated tyres are wrong for our cars. So even thought I originally thought I'd got a bargain for the full set at £850, I've now had to spend a further £500 replacing all the tyres. The copies I'd looked at before taking the plunge on these originals cost £1270, with tyres.

I can see a pattern developing here....... :lol:

• Tony,
    We could launch an entire new website just to discuss wheel and tyre combinations relating to style, grip, handling, ride quality and so much more.

With 235/35x19 on the front the % "speed difference" with different rear tyres would be:
    285/35x19 = +5.4%
    275/30x19 = +0.1%
    265/30x19 = -0.8%

The 265/30x19's are still slightly taller than the standard 17" and a tiny weeny bit taller than the Csi optional 18" rears - but not enough to give major speedo errors.

Glad you've got the right combination that works for you :)

• Grinding saga

Sorry about the 'test' before. All now solved on the grinding score but did cost an arm and a leg. Will post list of kit purchased.
    Is anyonw going to the CLassic Car Show at the NEC? I'm taking part in the Dream Rides event to raise cash for needy kids. Say hello if youre around!

• Grinding and other noises....

Just in case anyone is having the same problems with regard to strange noises heres a list of items just replaced on mine...It has not only solved the problem but the car is much nicer to drive...no wallowing and much tighter around corners...

Replaced both worn front ant roll bar links
    Replaced split brake reaction arm bushes both sides
    Replaced O/S track rod end
    Replaced N/S outer track rod end ball joint
    Replaced damaged speed sensor plug on steering box
    Removed both rear trailing arms replaced both front mounting bushesand both rear hub carrier mounting bushes.Replaced both vertical wishbone bushes and reassembled trailing arms.

Charged fro 12 hours labour and also completed oil service. There was an airbag fault also.

As I said the car is now a totally different animal ro drive.

Cheers

Steve

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!