Help needed with the club/site/forum

• Guys,

As Fabrice has mentioned in the other thread, i am to gather the troops so to speak in order to help backup the interesting parts of this site for migration over to the new site.

It is all very straight forward stuff, no compter knowledge needed really.

In short, we need to take copies of all the data on the site, which is a ball ache and will take a lot of time but it needs to be done.

Once i have a few people willing to help out, i will delegate different parts of the site to different people and add further instructions.

I dont know how much you guys know about the situation the club is in but basically there are a lot of security flaws in the forum software on the server side which is enabling the hacking attacks that we have had going on lately. The hosting company has asked us to upgrade at a cost to ourselves and as we are planning on hosting the site on a kind members own personal servers this would be money wasted.

Therefore the hosting company are threatening to take the site offline and this could happen any day.

(Jud/Fabrice, if i have got any of this wrong then feel free to correct)

So it stands to reason that the faster we get this done the better, i am just asking for a couple of hours of your time maybe?

Thanks

Alex

• Zitat von kneekeybee

p.s. I need a new H1 bulb for the HID kit, one of mine keeps 'blinking' :shock: - hope it's not the balast unit.

should be under warranty - will contact XLS and get back to you

• Hi everyone,

Al you got it exactly right.
    Thank you so very much for your help.
    I will call you Al and tell you what and how we do it.
    You don't need to be in charge of all the content in the panel on the left including history, development...but you will just be in charge of the forum.
    Anything that is not related to the 8 is not worth keeping. But you guys will decide what is woth it and interesting to copy in the new site. Any useless chat is not woth keeping. Once again thanks for your help.
    Fabrice 8)

Que la 8 soit avec vous!:driver:
    May the 8 be with you and for always!:winkwink:

Fabrice

• Zitat von wayneblackwell1000

I think we need to do this sooner rather than later as I think the site was offline earlier :?

I think you're right Wayne, I checked just before leaving work around 4pm UK time yesterday and all I got was the infamous "Error 404 File not found" message - I wondered if the webhosts had pulled the plug... :cry:

• It worried me for a minute as well! :shock:

OK, well here is what we need to do and if we can do it starting asap then that would be good!

It is a very basic task, very basic indeed but given the circumstances i am told it is the best way to back up our data quickly and easily.

Wayne, if you could take "Off Topic"

Tony, could you take pages 1-10 in "Main Discussion"

Alex/Schnitz, could you take 11-20 in "Main Discussion"

Jason, could you take 21-30 in "Main Discussion"

Nickey B, could you take 31-40 in "Main Discussion"

Evren, could you take 41-49 in "Main Discussion"

I will take the showroom, classifieds and dealer forums.

Once this is done, we need to move on to Technics forum and "ClubE31 Forum".

Right, to the nitty gritty.

We need to scour our alloted pages, looking for topics that we think add to the club and contain information that we need to keep, things such as "Cruise Control Retrofit" in the Main Discussion need to be kept but topics such as "Best Wishes 2007" in Off Topic wont really bring anything to the club or the new forums.

Basically you just need to use your discretion.

What we need to do is open said topic, and "select all" - i think most will know how to do it but for the avoidance of doubt, right click with your mouse and click select all. Then copy and paste this into a word document. Save this document into a folder and name it the same as the topic.

After we have the main body of the topic, we need to save any pictures that may be in the topic by right clicking and clicking "save picture as" - now name that picture "picture 1" and put it in the newly created folder with the word document. If there are more than one picture then name then "picture 2", "picture 3" etc etc - you get the idea

:lol:

Its all a very simplistic way of doing things but its the way it needs to be done.

When this is done in your selected forums, let me know 8)

Once again, the club and I thank you in advance for all your hard work :D

• To all,
    One little precision which is very important copy and paste the text from the site to a word pad document and not into word the text software!!! :shock:
    You will find word pad in Start tool bar then All programs then accessories then you have word pad or pad document i don't know how it is named in english.
    Thank you in advance for your cooperation
    Fabrice 8)

Que la 8 soit avec vous!:driver:
    May the 8 be with you and for always!:winkwink:

Fabrice

• :oops: Quick question :oops: , copying is fine but when pasting into the wordpad, you click paste special, then unforamatted text :?:

Am I right :?: I have tried the normal paste and nothing comes up so not too sure and don't want to do it all and then have to do it all again :?

Thanks

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!