LSD.... A mind/body experience

• Seb, It's hard to tell with that photo, There's no visible 'S' which identifies it being a LSD, Normally when the S is not clearly visible on top, The Diff has either been repainted or has a LOT of miles on it! The seller does not offer any imformation on engine size which is important to say the lease, 4.0 or larger engines are the ones none to work.

• Remember you are looking for something kinda rare so fleabay is just one place to search.

Try Breakers looking for

E32 4.0 or V12
    E34 4.0 or M5 6cyl

that's the only source and if from a 32 be sure it is not a baby V8 (3.5)

Your alternative is to get an open 3.9 (still from one of the above) and then a LSD of any ratio using the bears to make the LSD into a 3.9. You need to allow for a new crush sleeve, front seal and an experienced diff man to re assemble to correct bearing preload.

I have done a half dozen that way and the cost is much higher but at least I can supply myn customers that way

Hope it helps

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Just wanted to add that while I haven't done this mod myself, if anyone is questioning the effects that such short gearing might have on driveability, as I did, in the past week I've driven two cars with similarly short gearing that have further convinced me that the 3.91 mod is a great idea. The first was a '98 911 Carrera that was geared for 85mph at 3200rpm in sixth (not far off what the 3.91 diff results in for fifth) and despite having track tyres, stiff suspension and racing seats, it was surprisingly alright on the motorway and I covered 2200km without a headache or engine noise-related complaint. The other was the new M3 (very, very good in case anyone is interested) which seems to have identical gearing to the 911 and at no point did I wish I had another gear or did I think that sitting at high-ish revs made for an unpleasant driving experience. While the gearing of these two cars is closer to that of the 3.64 diff, what's a few hundred rpm between friends? That is all :D

• Glad to see this thread still rumbling on 8)

To be honest the whole experience (for a 3.91) in D mode can be replicated for a week by anyone - simply by driving in S mode instead, and therefore never seeing 5th gear at all. The real sting in the tail of this mod is sticking the 3.91 car into S/M mode. That is where all the fun lies.

I guarantee that if you were riding shotgun in mine at 45mph in 3rd, and I floored it, you would be amazed at how fast this car actually is.
    Overtaking is a breeze/roar :D

Standing starts in D mode are soooo much better. In S mode, well, with ASC off there is a lot of smoke :lol:

• Zitat von Seb

Tony, I reckon that if you tried doing another timed standing start video but this time in first and holding the car on the brake you could easily duck under 6 seconds to 60mph. I'll try and do it when I get mine done but that's going to be a while yet.

Go ahead & try holding the brake whilst pressing the throttle :shock: It doesn't work like that :shock: If a stock 840 can get under 6 secs then I'm a f***ing idiot for spending 6k on a blower :wink:

The word easily does not often get used in the car tuning game for a reason, it's expensive but sure aint easy, hey faisel :?: I have a 740i with the M62 engine & funny enough the 7 is actually a fair bit lighter than the 8 :shock: It feels fast enough but get back into the 8 with all it's mod in it is so much sharper & faster than the M62 engine , but will not record a better time to 60 than 5.3 secs, Hell a standard Csi is only booked at 5.9 secs, hence my :shock: at the statement :)

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• not sure about the brake thing - my car has been in "the dock" enough this last 12 months and I'm enjoying a period of calm on the mechanical front :?:lol:

I am pretty sure that mine wouldn't go sub 6 seconds though. The speedo may well read 60mph @ 6 secs but in truth I'm probably only doing 56 or 57mph due to speedo inaccuracies. Takes another 0.5+ to get to 62mph. Still it is enough to impress myself and most passengers.

My rear tyres need replacing very soon, and I'm gonna change all 4 of them as I think the rears look too skinny at the moment (265/30/19). Gonna beef them up to 285/30/19 with 245/35/19 at front (trying to fill the arches up a bit too). This will also have an effect on acceleration since the overall diameter will be larger, and there's more tread in contact with the ground..... Probably won't notice though :lol::roll::lol:

• Zitat von stevep840

Go ahead & try holding the brake whilst pressing the throttle :shock: It doesn't work like that :shock: If a stock 840 can get under 6 secs then I'm a f***ing idiot for spending 6k on a blower :wink:

The word easily does not often get used in the car tuning game for a reason, it's expensive but sure aint easy, hey faisel :?: I have a 740i with the M62 engine & funny enough the 7 is actually a fair bit lighter than the 8 :shock: It feels fast enough but get back into the 8 with all it's mod in it is so much sharper & faster than the M62 engine , but will not record a better time to 60 than 5.3 secs, Hell a standard Csi is only booked at 5.9 secs, hence my :shock: at the statement :)

I'm curious about your statement regarding holding it on the brake and while I haven't done it in my car because despite owning it for two weeks it hasn't come out of the garage yet, but it can and often does make a big difference to acceleration figures. My previous car (auto) did 0-60 in 6.9secs when moving off but hit 60 in 6.2secs when launched from being held on the brakes, all GPS timed and approved. In Tony's video IIRC he starts in second gear and moves off normally and hits 60 in around 6seconds. Now I know that was unscientific, not GPS approved and the speed readings are taken off the speedo so are bound to be a fraction out, but if I can't see why Tony couldn't duck under 6secs to 60 by experimenting with his launch techniques. He's almost there without even trying!

• I was curious enough to try the brake hold but i could not get the revs up, unlike in a manual whereas you hold onto 6000 revs & dump the clutch :? the auto box soaked the power & no gain , besides the noises from the creaking brakes sounded exspensive :shock:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Lol, yeah, it's not for the faint hearted and not great for the car either, though a couple of quick goes shouldn't do any harm. I know BMWs aren't best known for their ability to build power on the brakes, Japanese performance stuff seems to love it. I'll see what my 840 does completely stock with a 127k on the clock next time I get the chance to use the office GPS gear.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!