Repair MID with dead pixels?

• Zitat von sprucegoose;38188

Guys, thanks a lot for those tips. Will post more when I hear from BMW.

Sincere apologies because it appears that I never followed up on my promise to get back to the club. Anyway, YES! I did get the MID replaced free of charge so anyone still with this problem in the UK should still be able to do the same. There is a precedent and I am it. Get in touch with BMW customer service UK and tell them that you want the same deal that they gave to the owner of CC66548 who had the unit replaced free at Vines Ltd of Crawley, West Sussex. They will likely ask you to go to your local BMW dealer because the protocol is that the garage has to make the application for the free replacement of this part. Don't be fobbed off. They do know about this problem at HQ, but be prepared for the dealer to claim ignorance. Its not a "general recall", so in fact they might well not know. But if you can sweet-talk the dealer into making the application for a goodwill replacement, then there's every chance that BMW UK will cough up. My car was 10 years old and I was the fifth owner - yet I still got it replaced.

1997 E31 840Ci Sport
    2009 Mini Cooper
    2008 Toyota RAV-4 XT-R

Do every act of your life as if it were your last.

• That's great news! I shelled out £285 +vat 2 weeks ago for a replacement at Chandlers, Worthing but still kept the old one. I have a good rapport with them and will try for a retrospective goodwill claim. I will let you all know how I get on. Even if unsuccessful, I have to say the new one is sooooo much nicer to have.

• Zitat von sprucegoose;67573

Sincere apologies because it appears that I never followed up on my promise to get back to the club. Anyway, YES! I did get the MID replaced free of charge so anyone still with this problem in the UK should still be able to do the same. There is a precedent and I am it. Get in touch with BMW customer service UK and tell them that you want the same deal that they gave to the owner of CC66548 who had the unit replaced free at Vines Ltd of Crawley, West Sussex. They will likely ask you to go to your local BMW dealer because the protocol is that the garage has to make the application for the free replacement of this part. Don't be fobbed off. They do know about this problem at HQ, but be prepared for the dealer to claim ignorance. Its not a "general recall", so in fact they might well not know. But if you can sweet-talk the dealer into making the application for a goodwill replacement, then there's every chance that BMW UK will cough up. My car was 10 years old and I was the fifth owner - yet I still got it replaced.

I had my retrospective claim put in yesterday and just had a call to say it was rejected. They said Sprucegoose's was done 2 years ago and mine is now beyond Goodwill! For the sake of another call I will talk to Customer Service and get the full explanation. I suppose it is my fault for putting up with knackered pixels for the past 11 years of ownership.

• Any ex works replacement will leave you stranded sooner or later with the same problems over and again.

Over here in Germany there is one trustworthy person who repairs those faults (only if there aren´t traces of someone elses attempt for a quick fix). Cost for the fix is 100 EUR plus shipping and having had all of mine with him I can only recommend him. First one was fixed 5 yrs ago and still shows no sign of aging.

This is his business card:

Not to be confused with Ebay advertisers using similar pseudonyms "pixelarzt/pixeldoktor".

Not affiliated, just a happpy customer.

Cheers
    Reinhard

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!