3.91 LSD swapped at last

• I'm probably out of touch with such things, but why the need for an LSD?
    My rusty knowledge of LSD's is that a driveshaft is braked by clutches if the speed differential is too high.
    Our cars have traction control, which surely does the same thing, but in a quicker, more controlled way, but using the main brakes.
    What am I missing here?

• Eyebrow raising and smile inducing acceleration :shock: :D

and an empty wallet :roll:

Even in stock Sport mode, where the gearing is changed down to a lower gear, and you get to use 1st, there is still a dissappointing lag between you flooring it and the car taking off. The revs really need to climb to 2800 - 3000rpm before the best torque is available, but with the 3.91 ratio you are closer to this figure at any given cruising speed. It's like a Sport Plus Mode 8) but all the time....

The LSD side of things really passes me by as I tend to only blast up and down in a straight line, but hey, I like the thought that my car is capable of pointless 'clarkson powerslides' even if I cant actually do them !

IMHO the 3.91 ratio is perfect for the car, and I would never go back to the stock ratio now. Now it goes as fast as it looks, and isnt simply a sleek looking limo.

My 2p'n'th :lol:

• The 1st Diff is not a 3.91, the 2nd is :D Just proves that Alex spends all day surfing :lol:

There is a Guy nearby to me who has a 3.91 sitting in his garage, if there is someone who would like to speak with him then pm me :D

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• I have done a quick translation using babelfish, if I'm correct one of them is off a 525i and he isn't sure if it is the same as the M5's
    The other one is collection only. My best bet is to wait until one pops up on uk ebay and go from there.

Cheers.

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• I did a bid on the 3.91S (so I can put one on my second 8), thanks! :lol:

When you buy a diff with LSD(Sperr on German), you must have the one with a min. of 25%.
    You don't get the powerslide with the tracktion control on, but when you put if off, than you must have your pants tide, because the slide is hughe when you do it going into a corner!

I try it out on he road, thinking it would be within my limits, but I did a almost 360 turn and saw the trafic coming on to me(luckely I had the footh on the pedal and the steeringwheel in the right direction, so I could manage it keep the car in one piece).
    My son, who drives also a 8, he is a very quick driver, was turn into quite a pale quy and ask me to put the traction control on again and do the next time it on a circuit(what I will do at the Belgium meeting in Spa next month), haha.

It gives you with the traction control on also a very good grip, you feel that the car goes down at the rear and bites into the pavement. :twisted:

E31, the road to go!:winkwink:
    Dick
    President BMW Club E31 Nederland
    President BMW 8er Clubs International(B8CI)
    President Federatie Nederlandse BMW Clubs(FNBC)
    President BMW Auto Clubs Nederland(BACN)

• Always follow the leader! :lol::lol:

E31, the road to go!:winkwink:
    Dick
    President BMW Club E31 Nederland
    President BMW 8er Clubs International(B8CI)
    President Federatie Nederlandse BMW Clubs(FNBC)
    President BMW Auto Clubs Nederland(BACN)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!