3.91 LSD swapped at last

• Finally got around to fitting my E34 M5 LSD and I wish I'd done it ages ago instead of leaving it on the garage floor for 6 months!!

Surprised myself by not rounding off any of the allen keys that secure the drive shafts which is a first and Ive done 6 diff swaps (mostly E32 7 series) so far and Ive always managed to round at least one.
    Got the old diff out in 2 hrs or so which included removing both exhausts and it was immediately obvious that my old one had no slippy left in it at all. It behaved just like an open diff but when I swapped the rear cover inside was a very clean LSD and crown wheel.

Offered the new M5 diff up without swapping the front flange, it dropped straight into place!! Dont believe everything you read as mine just bolted straight in!

Then it rained just as I was going out for a test drive. Cue ASC light on almost the whole time, Woo Hoo!

Cant recommend this mod enough, 60mph comes up at 2200rpm and it accelerates from this speed in lock up 4th with enough urge that you can overtake without the box downshifting.
    Only got 12 MPG on the test drive though!!!!!

:lol::lol:

• Good success, then!

I'm considering removing my LSD to replace the shaft seals, as it's leaking badly. To work on your diff, did you have access to a lift or did you manage the job with axle-stands etc?

:?:

• Did the swap on my single car driveway with a pair of axle stands, two trolly jacks and a set of ramps (the sort you drive onto not the hydraulic type!).
    Wasnt to difficult really but it was just a bit worrying as the bolts holding it all in place were really rusty as I dont think they'd been touched since 1991 but it all came apart ok.

Diff came from via Ebay a year or so ago, he was going to put it in his 540i then changed his mind so I picked it up for £120.

So far its been in my old E34 535i manual and now my 8.

• Went and had a bit of a childish moment at the weekend.

Couple of lads in a Citroen Saxo/Peugeot something/definitely French with a loud exhaust and tinted windows pulled up at a set of lights (on a private road obviously) and repeatedly bounced their little motor off the limiter while staring into my car.
    ASC off, Sport mode and I stamped on it as the lights went green......
    Two long rubber stripes on the road and a French thing in my mirrors later and the lads pull up alongside and asked what my car was!!
    "850i BMW" says I
    "Is that the one with a V6 in it?" replies the driver!!!

The youth of today.

My new slippy diff works great though!

• Zitat von TallTony

"yes, I've got two of them up front" 8)

Accompanied by the appropriate 2 fingered sign of course (to indcate the number obviously). :wink:

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• I've tried my best to keep this a secret :?

My Son sold his 325i & bought a very special Saxo :oops: I know , I know you all think I'm a bad Father & not raised him right :( BUT be warned his Saxo goes like shit of a shovel :D It must weigh about as much as the 2 front seats from an 8 series :shock:

So
    Be on the lookout for a V reg Saxo vts WITH a fully blue printed /race tuned engine, DO NOT try & race it :shock: I have been embarrased twice by this ugly French duckling oh i forgot :wink: It runs Nitros :wink::wink:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Terry in Toronto

My J-spec 850 came with a 3.91 installed. Really improves the experience but the fuel consumption does take a hit.

Terry in T.O.
    91 850i J-Spec
    Mauritius Blue

Different Strokes for Different Folks
    -Sly and the Family Stone

• Must admit I havent taken it out on a long run yet so dont know how bad the fuel consumption will be but then I didnt get my 8 for its prowess in that department. :D
    Lets face it, it wasnt that great in the first place!!!!!

• Fuel down by about 4 per gallon here too. I suspect I could get more with bigger tyres - I'm running 265/30/19s at the rear and 235/35/19s at front which are really, really, low profile. Should be able to get 275/30/19s & 245/35/19s under the arches next time I change the tyres, but what the heck, I get a marginally quicker accelleration from the smaller ones.....

Seriously, like I'm gonna notice :lol:

Fuel is not an issue for me though as it's all paid for through the business anyway... not VAT, plus no income tax on the money spent at the pumps....... 8)

• so, here it is, the follow up to my first YouTube 0 - 100mph video, as seen here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-XhYSsG4Wk

now, with 3.91 LSD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8FSDerBy5w

You can see the difference in revs throughout the range now, and that I had to knock it back to D Mode around 90mph since it was revving way too much in 4th, and S Mode doesnt use 5th.

I clocked the magic 62mph at 6.0secs flat, over the previous 7.4secs.

Not bad for a a simple diff swap costing £400 inc Fitting. To knock a further 1.0 secs off that time is gonna cost me £1000s :lol::shock:

• Cool.... I think with a 6-speed 840 I'd be well into the 5s on the 0-60 run with one of these diffs (just over 6 secs at the moment).

Just got to find one first :D

• Zitat von Paul_M

Cool.... I think with a 6-speed 840 I'd be well into the 5s on the 0-60 run with one of these diffs (just over 6 secs at the moment).

yOU CAN BUT DREAM :wink: 5 ???secs my arse :D There is only1 840 that can do that :lol::lol::lol:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Zitat von Paul_M

Cool.... I think with a 6-speed 840 I'd be well into the 5s on the 0-60 run with one of these diffs (just over 6 secs at the moment).

there is a Golden Goose that keeps laying these things in Ebay, it seems :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-e34-…ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one looks a bit tattier than the one I bought, but I guess it's the stuff inside that counts, rather than outward appearance....

You can go higher still in America..... 4.27 :!::!::!:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors…23QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!