What colour is Pentosin

• Hi all. Just got back from the stealer ( new Pentonsin sticker 38p). As for the Pentosin they now only stock CHF 11 which they would use. However on the side of the tin is clearly states in bold writing that this product must not be mixed with CHF 7.1. Therefore I did not buy it at this stage (£10 per litre) and intend to try and track down some 7.1 first. I did however order a new auto box switch (S-E-M) which will be coming from germany cost £38.74.

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• Is your car pre 1992?

If so, you're correct and it will 'require' the 7.1.

The 7.1 also has additional anti-wear additives compared to CHF-11, which perhaps the e31 parts do not need, but some cars do require 7.1 because of this and therefore should not "upgrade" to CHF-11.

• Arnie mine is a 1991. and you have just written almost word for word what I said to the stealer. I am off to buy some CHF7.1 this morning hopefully. I will report back later. 8)

Lloyd

• :D Just pick-up a couple of litres from Euro Car parts. It is another brand
    FBI 6162 @ =£6.81 per litre not bad.With the Product description of Pentosin oil CHF7.1 BMW Part number 963110330. I will be changing it this afternoon
    Update to follow :wink:

Lloyd

• Just had a call from the stealers telling me they can now supply CHF 7.1 for £8.85 per litre. I was pleased to say that I had already tracked it down myself and that it was cheaper :D

Plus the steering has stopped moaning!!! (note to self try adding to wife's tea to see if the same effect is seen) :wink:

Lloyd

• >I read somewhere that E31 built upto 09/91 used the older 7.1
    >but according to BMW, it's recommended to drain and refill with 11s

Mine was made in October 1991, which means
    it's a '92 model. The manual says "Pentosin
    7.1" but in the label of Pentosin's deposit says
    "CHF 11.S"! :o

... it seems that indeed a change was made
    from 91 to 92 models, and they didn't correct
    the owner's manual in time... :?

Regards.

-Antonio Mota
    '92 850 6-speed

• Zitat von Funkytuqe

Is there a specific marking in the Power Steering Resovoir that the Pentosin should be filled to?

In my reservoir's cap there is a sticker
    saying "CHF 11.S", which is Pentosin type.
    The correct level must be measured like
    it was explained here, some posts ago.

About the stickers: I gess they can go away
    (your's doesn't have one?)? There is also a
    sticker in gearboxe (my says "ATF fluid") and
    differencial should have too (mine doesn't have...
    it went away after 15 years :?).

Regards.

-AM

• Earlier when I was working summers in a repair shop we used to change the powersteering fluids from pretty much from the lowest point of system by just releasing a connection and placing a bucket under. Gravity did the job.

How much fluid is in the E31 system and how much can be changed by just changing the amount in the reservoir?
    Would a total flush be required?

Marko
    from Finland
    850i -91, 6 Speed manual

• Zitat von Lloyd

Not sure what the brown shadow at the rear is as its all green (purish green for all the blackadder fans) :wink:

Just siphoned the tank empty and now also know what the shadow in your picture is...

The screen mesh seems to be saturated with the red oil and when the green stuff is poured in it will stain the colour. Mine turned from green to red in 30 seconds. I ran to get the camera as I noticed what was happening to get the picture but was too slow...

Seems that I will also be opening the container in some revolutions to make a another try.

There was also another observation.
    The viscosity of the new stuff was noticeable different from the previous red gunk.
    It was almost like water in comparison. I used the "M6162" that was shown earlier in the thread.

Marko
    from Finland
    850i -91, 6 Speed manual

• Algernon you are right the new stuff was definately thinner as for the shadow mine has not changed colour yet (but I will check again) I did degrease the filter so there should not have been any traces there?
    Having said all that its much much better now. I will check the colour at the weekend

Lloyd

• I just unpacked the new sticker for the top of the tank. However it is nothing like the original its say's

Check oil level
    when pump does not
    operate! Operate brake pedal
    until oil level does not go up any further!
    Refill oil up to 10mm below reservoir top

No mention of what type of Pentosin etc. :roll:

Lloyd

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!