Rear Shock absorber top mount failure

• I've had this clicking/squeeking noise from the rear left side for a little while.
    First I thought it was the rear side window mechanism that was worn, but no.
    Then I suspected the rear seat, (found that the top was not fastened), but no.

Today the clicking/squeeking noise was worse than ever.
    And as I drove along I started suspecting the rear schock.

Jacked up the car and to my horror I noticed that the rear shock mount had failed as the front fastner nut for the top bearing came into sight as the loose bearing tilted down into the wheelwell.
    The loose bearing is what made the noise.

Now the top mount has not failed totally, only the metal between the big center hole where the bearing is and the small hole that is the front bearing mount.
    The rear mount is still intact and the shock is still in it's place.

Might be a thing to consider reinforcing guys.

Dont think this will be an expensive fix, the damage is small.
    But I'm going to reinforce both my top mounts for sure.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• I've made a quick fix today with some big washers.
    It turns out that the rear bearing fastner also has started to crack.
    I'll be going away on monday so I'll just had to pacth the car together so I can use it the few remaining days untill I leave.

Will make a proper fix when I get back home again i June.

I see no point in replacing The item you listed, My plan is as follows.
    Weld the cracks, and weld in the piece that is loose.
    Make a 3mm (1/8") thick plate that is the same shape as the top of the mount and weld it in place, this will reinforce and distribute the load evenly over the whole top of the mount.

Similar reinforcements are made for e30/e36 and e46 that I know of.
    They look like this, however I intend to make them myself and have them welded in place.

http://www.turnermotorsport.co…asp?PRODUCT_ID=TSU9975100

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• hello again Noggie
    it is funny but the same thing happened to my rear shock mounts last fall as soon as i put in Bilsteins..it got worst over the course of 3 days till it sounded almost like those old squeaky spring beds. Had to have both sides reinforced and all is good now. They seem to be weak in that area,but the louzy third world country roads here in Montreal don't help either especially if you have sport suspension.

• 8 Series rear shock mount details

Hi Noggie: Scott Marion here! How are you, are you coming back to the US anytime soon? Saw this post of yours & thought you might find this information below helpful. I inspected my rear shocks a few months ago and all is well for now. I still have stock rear shocks & springs so I hope I do not have to deal with this anytime soon. There are some really good photos & ideas shown in this post & hope it helps you with your repairs. I know Tom (Wuffer above) was offering a suggestion from the various experiences he has posted. Go Tom!!

What did you decide to do about your wheels? Have you purchased any yet? If so post a photo or when you do change your wheels. Also let me know if you will be coming to Florida at all like we discussed in February.

- Scott Marion

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e31/8360303-1.html

One of the best body styles on a BMW!

• Hello Scott.

By the looks of it I'm stuck i China for quite some time.(maybe years)
    The only way I'll be comming to the US is on my own time, and then I can choose where to go.
    At the earliest I can go to the US in August, or I'll have to wait untill October.

Wheels, well, thats in progress, Ive decided to go for some 19" Work wheels in Germany, I'll drive down there in mid June an pick them up.

Pictures are being posted as soon as I can.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!