power steering pipe trouble

• A bit of a follow on from "You have to laugh" thread really.

I dont have access to ETK but BMW are struggling with finding a replacement pipe for my car.
    Its a power steering pipe that runs from the swich block on the inner wing down to the back of the power steering pump.
    After giving them the usual 7 digits of chassis number etc they came up with part number 32 41 1 139 578 but this isnt a match for the pipe Ive removed.

I need one with the same fitting at each end not as this one is with a bolt and eye fitting one end and a threaded nut the other.

Any thoughts?

• Find a good hydraulic hose making shop. if you have it in your hand they should be able to repair or replace it for a fraction of the cost.

The system in our cars runs at 3000 PSI which is a standard pressure range for industrial hydraulic systems.

The return hoses are much lower pressure.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Ok, got it sorted now. :D

Turns out that the ETK is actually incorrect when it comes to this particular pipe.

The correct pipe is listed as 1 1 40 039 on the ETK parts list and this pipe is actually for non ASC equiped cars.
    My car has ASC.

Will fit it tonight along with my fuel pumps with working sender which I received from jdgavrity.

No drips AND a working fuel gauge.......... Luxury!!!!

• Hi rob850uk

I've got the same trouble on my 850Ci '93 (VIN:CB57990).

If you refer to this...
    http://bmwfans.info/original/E…993/06/mg-32/ill-32_0655/
    ...the pipe that is leaking is the one marked number 8.

Is this the pipe you had trouble with?

Also, as my car has ASC+T & AHK, BMW can't work out which part number to actually order. Did you say the ETK was wrong on this part?

The part numbers I have a choice on are 32 41 1 139 578 and 32 41 1 138 568.

Any help appreciated.

Best regds

David

• David,

The pipe supplied to me as correct was 32 411 139 578 and it wasnt.
    The pipe I needed has the same fitting at each end, same as the ETK picture shows but the above number has the same top fitting but the pump fitting is the bolt and eyelet type.
    I reckon thats the one you need but not certain.

My local BMW dealer ordered both for me in the end which solved the problem.

Hope this helps. :D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!