Oil Leaks 850

• Hello All !!!!

I have an oil leak :( My mechanic says the valve cover gaskets are leaking for sure and possibly the crank seal, we are hoping that it is not the upper pan gasket... My question to you guys is about labor times, I am sure one of you guys have had one if not all of these repairs done at some point, my mechanic is quoting me $600 US to replace the valve cover gaskets, (sounds a little steep to me) He has been very trustworthy in the past but I like to do a little homework to avoid getting screwed...

Thank-You in Advance

Happy Motoring

DMP

• I think that you have to take the intakes off on an 850. So you are getting an IM gasket change at the same time.

Make sure he guarantees the IM gaskets against leaking if he plans to reuse the old ones.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Perhaps an experienced (on this engine) mechanic could do the work in about 1.5 hrs to strip and 1.5hrs to replace. Someone not having done this before (on this engine) may take twice as long or more. There are a lot of parts to remove, particularly the inlet manifolds.

As Terry mentions, the seals on the inlet manifolds will require careful checking before replacing. I think a new set is very costly, but usually the old ones can be refitted with a non-hardening silicone sealer to guard against possible leaks.

• I also had the same problem i had paid 800 euro for labor time and another 600 for all the gaskets . gaskets are very expensive . i think 600 us dollar is cheap because the bmw mechanic took for my almost one week to replace the gaskets .

• I think the expensive gaskets are those for the inlet manifolds. The valve-cover gaskets are relatively cheap. That is why you should check the condition of the IM gaskets to see if they can be re-used. However, any leaks in these will mean poor engine running. Usually, they are re-usable with additional applied sealant to the mating surfaces.

• If you are not going to replace the IM gaskets--have the mechanic mark top and location of the old IM gaskets. That way the angular set that they have taken will be accounted for and he won't be trying to twist old rubber into a new shape.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Thanks for the input guys !!!

I found the IM gaskets for $110 US each (need 2) I can't imagine not replacing those "while we are in there"...

Happy Motoring !!!!

DMP
    :twisted:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!