Alarm/imobilizer has now stranded my car!!!!!

• My '91 850i is fitted with a Serpi Star GS3 alarm, the rectangle key fob with a corner missing, red arm and grey disarm buttons and the BMW roundel on it, and now both key fobs have failed.
    One went wrong about a month ago, thought it was the batteries but replaced them, LED still works but car does nothing. Yesterday I armed the alarm, car locked, I came back to it an hour later and it wouldnt disarm, changed batteries, no dice.
    Opened with the key ok but engine imbobilzer wont disarm so had to have car towed home.
    Nightmare!!!
    Alarm has an on/off key under the bonnet but this just seems to silence the alarm but not deactivate the imobilizer so engine still dead.

Is this a main dealer job or is there a trick to reprogram the fobs?

Car is disabled on my driveway and I'm loathed to take it to the dealers.

HELP!!!!!!

• Sorry to hear this Buddy, I'm expert but i know only from what I've been told :? that when changing batteries you only have a certain time to complete this,outside of this time [i think its approx 1 min] :? the memory function will be lost.

There is a sequence for rebooting the keys memory,something like turn key to accessory possition press button & repeat, but please dont take this a positive Quote.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge can help :wink:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Thanks for that, Its that sequence i guess I'm after but I cant decide if this alarm is factory fitted or aftermarket.
    Kind of hoping for the later as then just have it removed and replaced with something more modern.

• Not sure which alarm you have but if it is factory alarm with the part number
    #88 88 1 600 292 on the remote control.
    On these RC there is a small chip inside that comes loose open the RC and secure the chip ( small square piece ) and then try it again.

You could also have a look underneath your dash board find the harness to your ignition switch, look for none stock wire fasteners crimps.
    If that is the case undo the crimps and take the wires from the aftermarket alarm off and recrimp the factory wires by color. Then you should be able to start your car. Keep us posted.

HTH Thomas

• All you should need to do is put a new battery in each remote. Find the alarm module, probably behind the glovebox and there is a covered switch on it. move the switch to the side, press the red button on one remote then the grey on the other. Set the switch back to its original position and you should be all done.
    Please be aware I havnt done one of these for years so it may be grey first on one then red on the other but the process is the same. If it doesnt work then get back to me and I'll confirm the correct sequence for you.

8Tech

• Hi man,

I have exactly same problem! Car won't start. Starter is ok, but it seems fuel pumps are blocked by immobilizer. My 850 is standing for 2weeks and I don't want to use towage service.
    I found old remote controler from previous owner, but the whole alarm system is switched off so I can't try if one of the buttons take control of immobilizer.

• Ok, got p^^%ed off with the car alarm and so have removed it!!!!
    It was a BMW fit alarm but definitely not OE.

Not that difficult but had to retrace all the wires and reconnect the factory loom back up.
    The main immoblizer part was 4 wires running into the E box and connected to the two white fuel pump relays, the other was on the steering column which was a very thick gauge wire that needed resoldering.

Now just need a new alarm/imb fitted.

Anyone recommend a good make??

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!