Final drive gearing

• Zitat von Paul_M;50983

most auto drivers are grandads, and those who aren't tend to drive like they are anyway :laugh:

In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions of a courier that is likely to deliver such a heavy item for a reasonable price?

Cheers guys :cool:

And you expect help after that verbal abuse :rofl:

I've used these in the past with no hassle
    http://www.interparcel.com/

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• Cheers Wayne. Sorry couldn't resist the opportunity to have a dig at our more sedate fellow 8 owners :D

That site has quoted a price of £31.86 + VAT based on a weight of 46 Kg, which is pretty good in my opinion :)

• Zitat von TallTony;42538

, and you have that stubby stick thingy which you need to use by hand ALL the time :lol:

I could never understand why there are people who insist three pedals are better than two when the only person I know of with three legs is Rolf (Jake) Harris. It must cause them to lie awake at night wondering why their motoring god has deserted them after watching F1 or any other serious motorsport as they shift in milliseconds. The overdeveloped left thigh causing them to walk in circles must also be embarrassing at times.

Anyway my 840 ci Sport 4.4 gets a 3.64 LSD this weekend along with a new set of Bilsteins, rear turret reinforcing plates and camber plates.

All as a result of the good feedback on these pages.

Thanks all, (I just hope the thanks is not premature)

It is easier to get foregivness than permission!

• Zitat von Paul_M;50983

most auto drivers are grandads, and those who aren't tend to drive like they are anyway :laugh:

Yea, right! as we say in this part of the world, like Lewis Hamilton, Massa, et all... I would run a modern auto against a manual any day.

(Saves us old fellows bunny hopping away from the lights apart from anything else).

• Zitat von alant;51236

Anyway my 840 ci Sport 4.4 gets a 3.64 LSD this weekend along with a new set of Bilsteins, rear turret reinforcing plates and camber plates.

Alant, I've all that in mine (except my LSD is 3.91) and I can assure you that you'll notice a marked improvement - assuming you like quicker accel, harder suspension and sharper cornering :)

The rear tower reinforcements should only save you from a big :cry: but better with especially since you are fitting the new shocks.

Zitat von alant;51236

Yea, right! as we say in this part of the world, like Lewis Hamilton, Massa, et all... I would run a modern auto against a manual any day.

:rofl:I suspect that :paul: will have something to say on this.......

• Zitat von alant;51237

(Saves us old fellows bunny hopping away from the lights apart from anything else).

Find me the torque converter in any F1 car and I'll go eat my clutch pedal now :itsme:

Sorry to disappoint you oldies, but the technology used in my transmission has far more in common with an F1 car (or indeed just about any racing car) than the auto in an 8 series. F1 cars do have a clutch, just like any manual gearbox car, it's just that it's hydraulically activated as it can be made much quicker acting. Same with the shifting mechanism itself, nothing like a conventional automatic. A bit like BMW's SMG, which funnily enough stands for Sequential Manual Gearbox :winkwink:

Other than the lack of a clutch pedal, F1 gearboxes have literally nothing in common with conventional (i.e. torque converter and planetary gears) automatic gearboxes. There's a good reason why SMG isn't offered on the 7-series: all the old men who buy them wouldn't appreciate the jerky shifts compared with their smooth-but-boring conventional automatic ;)

Right... off to go practice some heel-toe on the twisties :mrgreen-angel:

• Zitat von TallTony;51238

Alant, I've all that in mine (except my LSD is 3.91) and I can assure you that you'll notice a marked improvement - assuming you like quicker accel, harder suspension and sharper cornering :)

The rear tower reinforcements should only save you from a big :cry: but better with especially since you are fitting the new shocks.

:rofl:I suspect that :paul: will have something to say on this.......

Thanks Tony, The joke in the auto/manual "thing" going on is that I have a manual 3.0 csi and a genuine E21 Factory 320 Alpina, 5 speed close ratio "dogleg" Gertrag box, 40% LSD, track type settings on shocks and springs and all the rest.... (even a pair of 45 Weber's but lets not start an injection/carb discussion).

All this and I was born in the first half of the last century....
    Ahhh the young, so lacking in understanding about anyone over 30 .

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!