anyone painted the stock black door handles

• My only real beef about the exterior of the 8-series is the black plastic door handles that make it look like a base model early 90's jap car.

Has anyone had these painted to match their car? Is it possible to get the same sort of glossy smooth surface on the door handles as it is the rest of the car?

Thanks in advance!

• Yes, I had mine done several years ago when the car was in the body shop for some other work. It's very easy to remove the outer part of the handle, if you open the door and look at the side, there is a plastic cap that can be removed. Behind it is a metal bar that can be pushed, freeing the outer part of the handle. It's a lot more work to remove the inner part, so I left it attached, as it's easy to mask off with the outer removed.

It's just a case of masking off and sanding the surface smooth using progressively finer wet & dry paper. It's imperative to use the correct plastic primer, otherwise the paint will flake after some time. It's a small enough area that you could probably do it with an aerosol if you've done some paint work before, but I left it to the paint shop as it's quite hard to get a good finish with the lacquer on metallic paints.

And yes, the car looks much better afterwards!

• Do you have any pictures of the finished work Paul?

After the miles my car has done I'm going to take it to a panel shop to restore the cars paintwork anyway, so the actual technique is their problem! Just glad to hear someone has done it :)

• This is a rather old and low quality photo, but you get the idea. The paint quality is still as good today, no deterioration at all. Something I'm not confident would be the case if I'd painted them myself :D

• Zitat von Paul_M;44225

It's very easy to remove the outer part of the handle, if you open the door and look at the side, there is a plastic cap that can be removed. Behind it is a metal bar that can be pushed, freeing the outer part of the handle. It's a lot more work to remove the inner part, so I left it attached, as it's easy to mask off with the outer removed.

It's just a case of masking off and sanding the surface smooth using progressively finer wet & dry paper. It's imperative to use the correct plastic primer, otherwise the paint will flake after some time. It's a small enough area that you could probably do it with an aerosol if you've done some paint work before, but I left it to the paint shop as it's quite hard to get a good finish with the lacquer on metallic paints.

I can see the metal bar behind the plastic cap, but haven't had much luck freeing the outer part. In which direction should I push the metal bar, and should I be pulling on the outer part at the same time?

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• I can't remember which way it goes, it's been a while now. I think you push the bar to release it, it might need a sharp shock to free it. You don't have to pull the handle at the same time, once the bar has been moved it will stay in that position and the handle can be freely removed by gently lifting it out from the bottom.

• Many thanks; I started my door handle repaint a couple of days ago, and worked out that the bar does indeed need a sharp hit from a hammer & screwdriver, and then it releases fine, as you say.

The Great British weather has delayed proceedings today, but I hope to get it finished soon; I might even post a pic if it all goes as planned.

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• I finally managed to get round to doing this, and I am quite happy with the result. I got the paint in an aerosol from http://www.paints4u.com/, and whilst I don't think it was a *perfect* colour match, it'll do for me. I certainly think it's an improvement over the black. Their U-Pon high build gloss lacquer was easy enough to apply, too. The plastic primer was from Halfords.

• Must be something in the air as I'm doing mine as well at the moment but I'm redoing mine black from the grey charcoal colour they had become and because both my door handles stopped working. Upon dismantling I expected to find the notorious 'pot metal' break but everything was intact. The pot metal bars were semi siezed and some WD40 got them moving freely again, I can only think that the handles stopped working because the 's' shaped hooks that hang off the handles were both slightly bent, although it did look like a manufatured bend I have straightened them. Just waiting for the new gaskets to turn up now.

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!