Steering Wobble

• I've just mine back from the garage for what looks like exactly the same thing i.e severe steering wobble when breaking through 60 MPH.

Turns out the caliper was seized and the disc was warped as a result.

1 caliper, two discs and a set of pads later the problem is fixed......

Had One For A While Now Really !

'96 BMW 850CSi
    '11 MV Agusta Brutale 1090rr
    '89 Ducati Indiana 750
    '83 Suzuki GR650

• [quote my car does this "wobble and shake" even when not braking but the problem is ore pronounced when braking. New tyres being fitted soon, maybe that will cure the problem.
    Cheers,
    Jason[/quote]

My money is on the thrust bushes as described earlier in this thread. They do wear out quite quickly and there is really no way to check them. Replacement is not a big deal. I have changed them on my 8 and have to do them about every 20,000 miles on the E34 B10 Alpina.

As for hub rings, assuming the wheels are genuine, unless they came off an E39 it will not be that.

As far as balancing goes, there is a misconception that a "proper" balance needs to be done off the wheel studs rather than the centre, and this from various "experts". My practical experience is that balancing off the centre hub gives a better job as this is where the wheel is centred when fitted to the car. In each case when they have been done of stud plates the results have not been as good.

Alan

It is easier to get foregivness than permission!

• Could well be the bottom thrust bushes - they will be renewed soon, new arms are on order with the local dealers. It shouldn't be the top bushes as they were renewed just before this problem manifested - they were replaced with the M5 versions.

I'll post progress...

Cheers,
    Jason

• Well as promised, progress report:

New Bridgestone Potenza's fitted yesterday followed by a short test drive - wobble has disappeared! I'm not properly celebrating just yet as I want to do a longer run and make sure the problem is solved, I want to make sure that everything is thoroughly warmed through and still no woblle, previously I had the impression that the problem was worse when the car was hot, maybe softer bushes? (could also have been caused by the warm tyres!)

BTW, tyres were in a dreadful state, glad I replaced them
    Cheers,
    Jason

• Further update to this story and a possible candidate to check if you have this steering wobble problem. When I had my new Potenzas fitted the tyre monkey managed to f*** up the chrome finishing rings on my BBS wheels. To be fair, they did admit that they'd done it and they didn't give me any hassle about taking on responsibility to get the wheels repaired. Anyway, 4 wheels were sent back to BBS and I was loaned some Exip wheels in the meantime (horrible pimp wheels they were).
    My repaired BBS wheels were re-delivered yesterday and re-fitted this morning. The tyre shop had all four wheels repaired even though they only damaged 2 of them. On the invoice from BBS was one interesting item - they replaced a complete "Felgenbett" = tyre bed or inner section of the wheel as this was ovalled "beyond tolerances". (Obviously I paid for this item as it was nothing to do with the tyre fitting. - Note to self, mut stop the Dukes of Hazard style bridge jumping...)

I don't know how you'd actually get your wheels checked easily - a properly set up dial guage and the know how would help but it might be worth checking out if you have the dreaded "wobble".

Cheers,
    Jason

• I'm having the same problem had upper arms replaced getting lower ones replaced tonight but might well be the wheels as in your case, do you have any ideas as to how much it would cost to get the wheels sorted/repaired.

• Well I paid CHF 472 for one wheel only, that's over 200 GBP in real money so it's not cheap. I think that are plenty more culprits in the front suspension/sterring area that could cause this fault, the warped wheel might well have been incidental.
    I still have to change the lower wishbones 8sitting in my cupboard) and track rods but I still have no wobble after the new tyres.
    Cheers

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!