Before/After Spring Install Pics

• Here are some pics of before/after spring install. Fronts are H&R, rear are 3/4 turn specially cut OEM springs compliments of MWrench. No rear spring pad needed, perfect matching drop for the front & rear.

I also installed Wuffer/Gerry's Rear Shock Tower Plates--a must if you dare to drop!

Took 3 1/2 hours & a 12-pack of beer to complete the job. Why I didn't do this sooner is a wonder to me. The car now looks the way it should've looked direct from the factory.

Anyhow, here are some pics. Big difference bwtn stock & modified suspension.

Cheers

-------------

-----------------------------

-----------------------------------------

:):):D

• yep... looks great.

Planned to make a post just like this in the Eibach & Bilstein setup when I get home, and another one when I install the camber plates.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Looks a bit dusty to me, BUT...the drop looks spot on. Im interested to know what the ride is like now as your using different brand/make of spring front and rear.

• Well, after lots of research regarding springs, I concluded that I wanted a ride that was comfortable for the pothole-ridden streets of Los Angeles and stiff enough for spirited driving. There's a few E31 owners who've gone Eibach or H&R in the front with CSi in the rear with great success. The spring rate of the rear CSi is very stiff, so a cut OEM spring is a little less rigid than the CSi spring. Essentially, it's a better match with H&R or Eibach to use cut OEM as opposed to CSi.

Again, after some research, I found that H&R fronts along with cut OEM rears allow for comfort & stiffness in all the right places. Overall, the car is very smooth. It also feels as if it does have a lower center of gravity. The car also handles real nice on the twisties. It's a nice balance bwtwn sports & comfort I'd say.

The nice part is that the drop is even on the front & rear. You guys probably already know that the rear H&R drops lower than the front, so avoid them!

:D

• Hmmm... I just got a bit concerned.....
    After I took a closer look at you're pictures, I compaired them to a picture I have of my own car currently running all stock ( to my knowledge)
    And boy was I surpriced when I saw that my stock car was just as low as you'rs is after the springs were changed.
    Now I have 19" wheels, but that shouldnt make all that difference.

I also know that my setup is completely worn out which may explain my rideheight. the car is to soft and really leans in the curves, the handling will be transformed when I get alle the parts I have on it.

Now I'm just concerned my rideheight will be higher with the new springs.

My cars current height with worn out stock springs/dampers
    http://www.clube31.net/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=6433

Tried to link to my own album but it would'nt work, hence the link.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Yes, to my knowledge the car is stock, however the springs and shocks are probably from 1990.... hence wery worn.... so I just think it sunk down from wear....
    Drives like a boat right now :)

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• E31 is a big boat :D

Anyhow, yes, sounds like new shocks and springs are in order then. The softest combination (if you want to keep that big boat feeling) are H&R with OEM Boge struts. I chose my particular setup due to the roads here in Los Angeles being really terrible. Soon I will replace the Boge with Bilsteins since my front left Boge strut is leaking slightly.

Cheers

• I have the Eibach and Bilstein setup in my garage, just did'nt have time to install it the last time I was home.
    that and new bushings and balljoints for the complete front and rear suspension.

Expect it to be nice and firm afterwards, just the way I like it.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!