Tyre width for a 9J rim

• Hello all, my rear rims are 9J and the previous owner had 235s fitted on them and whilst the slightly stretched look is neat on crazy wide rims, it does nothing for the stance of the 8 series rolling on 9Js at the rear. From factory I believe they were fitted with 265/40/17s and I'd like to go OEM but my local tyre place has none in stock. I'm being offered 255/40 Conti Contact sports or 275/40 Michelin Pilots. I want to beef up the stance from the rear and I'm inclined to go for the 275s but will they take over a 9J rim?

Input appreciated!

• Zitat von 8Tech

No, 275's will be ok on a 9J rim but go no further than this. 235's are way too narrow for the 9J.
    I think someone was trying to save a few bob!

8Tech

I popped down to the local tyre shop today and got them to try a 275 on the 9j and it looked horrible! No rubbing issues but aesthetically unacceptable. As luck would have it they found a pair of 265/40r 17 Continental Contact sports and they look spot on. Ride quality had greatly improved too!

• A 275 is only 10mm overall wider than a 265, which is just 5mm or less than 1/4" wider at the rim so this should have been virtually undetectable. I would suggest they tried a tyre with an unattractive profile or tread pattern rather than it being a width issue.

See here

[/url]http://www.yokohamatire.com/cu…ce/customizing_width.aspx

You will see that the 265 is quite close to the minimum recommended tyre size for a 9J so the 275 in 40 profile is perfect. It also shows that even a 35 profile 275 will fit OK on the 9J.

8Tech.

• The tyres were Michelin Pilot SX something and although very decent tyres they don't have what I'd consider to be an 'attractive' tread pattern. I agree that if 275/35R were available they would have looked much better as the profile of the tyre looked very large due to the deep tread design. Regardless, 265/40R keeps things OEM on the 9J RC rim and it does look 'just right'.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!