Wanted: Some 840 plastic engine bay parts

• Hi guys,

I am looking to replace a few plastic parts in my engine bay that have got tatty/damaged over the years, to clean up the appearance of my engine bay. I have modified a photo from the gallery to highlight the parts I need.

1. ECU box cover (don't need the bottom half)
    2. Airbox lid (again, don't need the bottom half)
    3. Intake hose between MAF and throttle body/ASC unit

If anyone has, or knows someone who has, these parts from an 840 being broken, please let me know.

• Really need part number 3 if anyone has one spare, just discovered a crack in mine which I have temporarily sealed with silicone but obvious needs replacing.

Cheers.

• Zitat von Paul_M;51305

Really need part number 3 if anyone has one spare, just discovered a crack in mine which I have temporarily sealed with silicone but obvious needs replacing.

Cheers.

The inlet tube shouldn't be all that expensive new. Any of those three parts that made it to the US mounted on a 8 has been liberally sprayed with Cosmoline so we won't be of any help.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Thanks Terry. I might be forced to buy a new one, but they are about £60 here ($120). Not a huge amount of money, but I despise being ripped off for a moulded piece of plastic. They don't really deteriorate much so used ones are usually good.

What is cosmoline and why do US cars get it? I've read a lot about people trying to clean it off valve covers.

• Cosmoline is an anti corrosive agent. BMW sprays it around the engine compartment to prevent corrosion while being transported over seas.

Part of the dealer pre-delivery preparation was supposed to be removal of the Cosmoline from all surfaces. They didn't do it and although it was probably quite clear when applied it yellows as it ages. This is why all the yellow intake manifolsd on the export cars.

Unfortunately they sprayed all of the plastic and paint as well as the engine and the removal process will take the paint and plastic off as well--or at least render them visually more unpleasant.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!