Radiator Leaking

• Today I took the car to a local mechanic and he pressure checked the cooling system and found that the radiator was cracked. There was a leak from the plastic moulding below the main crossover hose, I could see the water spurting out.
    Unfortunately I cannot drive the car as the leak has become worse and he has quoted me £300.00 to supply and fit the rad. He won't let me source one myself. I have trailed the threads already but would be grateful if anyone can offer any advice on anything I should look out for. I can't wait to get it back on the road, also I have noticed that sometimes within the cabin I get a smell of bitumen/tar burning, it is intermittent, I am sure it is not not the tyres as I cannot smell it outside the car. All help and advice greatly appreciated.

• If he is quoting you that price for a new radiator and labor, that is an excellent price indeed. So much as to be almost suspect. The dealer had replaced the radiator for the previous owner just before I bought the #2 car and the invoice for that part alone was £410! This is a common area of failure with these poorly-designed-with-plastic OEM rads. I don't know the condition of your cooling hoses in general but can tell you they should all be replaced together. As part of the new rad install they neglected to do the crossover tube to the expansion tank when the others were replaced, used the old one, and put a screw clamp on it that cut the rubber. It failed due to that clamp not being the oem oetiker-type... not a big or expensive deal but a pita.

• Thanks guys, I have trailed some of the past threads and know that some of the members have managed to get a radiator from £129.00 inc with delivery. I am just worried that they do not bodge the job up, the mechanic told me the radiator hoses were all in good nick which is reassuring but I do plan to get them renewed, I just want the car back for now. Any thoughts on the bitumen/tar smell?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!