Sidelight Bulbholder

• Anybody got a front sidelight bulbholder with attached wiring (at least 12 in) ??
    Or advise me on whether any other BM model (or any other car) has the same type of bulbholder ?

BM don't appear to sell it as a single item, only all the bulbholders in the front lightstrip with all attached wiring for some extortionate price !

I have a sidelight failure and an MOT coming up.
    Traced the fault to a partially broken wire (only a couple of strands remaining) just where the wire enters the "potting" at the back of the bulbholder. Even dug out the potting back to the internal terminal and tried soldering on a new length of cable but no go :banghead:

• Hi
    I assume you have looked at the bulb retaining slots as i had the same problem with mine, i thought it was a broken wire but it turned out to be excessive play and poor fitting bulb,allowing the bulb to tilt in the casing and not making contact on one side, so using a screw driver i pulled out the slots to make it tighter around the bulb and the problem went away.
    Allen

• Zitat von allenca;61106

Hi
    I assume you have looked at the bulb retaining slots as i had the same problem with mine, i thought it was a broken wire but it turned out to be excessive play and poor fitting bulb,allowing the bulb to tilt in the casing and not making contact on one side, so using a screw driver i pulled out the slots to make it tighter around the bulb and the problem went away.
    Allen

I had exactly this same problem, poor fitting and poor contact. A quick muck about with long nosed pliers and everything fine again.

• Zitat von martinw;60776

I have a sidelight failure and an MOT coming up.
    Traced the fault to a partially broken wire (only a couple of strands remaining) just where the wire enters the "potting" at the back of the bulbholder.

Did you fix the fault ?
    My nsf sidelamp has stopped working this week
    I've looked at the wiring and it seems to have the same prob as yours?
    I can get power to all of the bulbs apart from the grey wire which must be the sidelight bulb.
    Looking at the rear of the holder it appears to be filled with bees wax lol
    Is there an alternative holder that fits?

• If there is an alternative holder, I couldn't find it !

Original unit is by Hella, but no luck with them.
    Take a look at the "record for a parts ripoff" thread, there Rheinhard suggested a way of fixing the problem but not easy.
    Me, I was lucky. Found one off a breaker. But was looking for a long time.
    Bulbholder is not available as a seperate item from BMW. You have to buy all the wiring and bulbholders for the whole lightstrip - not cheap !

• Zitat von martinw;62793

Bulbholder is not available as a seperate item from BMW. You have to buy all the wiring and bulbholders for the whole lightstrip - not cheap !

Sod that :ahhhhh:
    I'll try it my way :top:

Found the grey wire was corroded under the wax ...

Drilled a hole in the back of the holder, then attached the broken wire to the terminal inside

That wax gave me an idea :harhar:

Fills a hole lol

All fixed, for now lol ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!