What tools should I buy

• If you're starting out getting a collection together then my recommendation would be to buy the best quality tools that you can afford. There are a number of reasons for this, the feel of using quality tools is good, they will be better manufactured and finished and with care will last you a lifetime and they are less likely to cause damage to the car. As an example of this, a properly made, well fitting socket is less likely to slip and cause damage.

Currently Halfords in the UK are running an offer for steel roller-bearing drawer cabinets where you buy one and get one free. They are still not cheap though. The cabinets cost something over GBP 300 and obviously they do not come with tools. If that is over your starting budget they i would recommend starting out with a good 1/2" drive socket set - get the best quality you can afford. With the ratchet drive which is what you will use a lot get one that has a really good feel and good quality, those with a switch to shift drive direction are easier to use in confined spaces.

Some jobs on the 8 are easier to handle with lighter equipment, as an example, I bought myself a nice 3/8" drive socket set when I changed the spark plugs on my car, the difference in weight of the tools isn't much but when you're working with your arms stretched out at full length, leaning in an uncomfortable position then it can be the difference between getting the job done and getting severe cramp in your arm.

As an essential beginner's kit you will need

1 x 1/2" socket set with sockets ranging from 6mm to 26mm and including short and longer extension bars.

1/2" drive wobble joints and/or flexy drive so you can apply turning force around angles.

a good set of quality screwdrivers, Philips, Crosshead and slot drive

A set of Allen keys and Torx bit drives (BMW love torx bolts)

A good set of pliers, including electrician's pliers, long nosed pliers, side cutting pliers and general pliers.

Some hammers, rubber faced, copper faced and ordinary to be able to apply "gentle pressure" at times.

A good quality vehicle jack and essential! axle stands. Don't even think about getting under an unsupported car and NEVER use bricks, concrete blocks or other such death trap arrangements.

A decent quality multi-meter for measuring Volts, Amps, Ohms etc.

A small but good quality torch.

First Aid kit - you will cut yourself and hurt yourself from time to time!

Beer. Actually probably lots of beer for when the job is finished ;)

You'll also probably collect other bits and pieces along the way - cleaning equipment such as solvents, rags, rubber gloves (you can buy surgical gloves cheaply just make sure you're not allergic to them, some people are.). Then comes stuff like sanding paper, files, scrapers etc, the list is endless.

Some tools you won't need very often and it might be easier to rent or borrow such items but I expect that like most of us, you'll end up having your own collection of tools.

The most important tool you can have in your collection is knowledge of how to do whatever it is that you're trying to do. Working on a vehicle, especially on safety critical items isn't something to be without proper care. If you're not sure, ask others how to tackle jobs, read up on the "how-to" guides that people post on this and other Fora.

Everyone starts somewhere and learns as they go along. It can be very rewarding and certainly it can save you money. Be methodical about what you do and you should be fine.

I'm sure my essential list above isn't complete and there will others contributing to help you out, good luck :)

• Sorry, I'd hoped others would jump on this thread and add their own tips. Ref. your question concerning which brand, well there's a long list, At the top I'd pick something like Snap-On but, brace yourself, they cost a f*****g fortune. However, they will last you a lifetime and they come with the best no-nonsense lifetime replacement guarantee you could wish for. They are really professional best quality but be warned, they are very expensive. Next up I'd suggest Britool, again these are not especially cheap but more affordable than Snap-On. Another decent quality is available from Halfords (UK auto parts dealer,) bit lacking sometimes in terms of knowledge but have decent equipment, they do their own brand professional quality gear which is very nice, very good quality high finish chrome, not just for "Bling", it makes them easy to keep clean and you can easily see if they get chipped or damaged. You can also get decent quality stuff from the Far East, Kamasa is pretty good.

As I noted in my earlier post, don't buy the cheapest because in the long run, it won't be cheap as you'll end up replacing it with something better. Buy the best quality you can afford, they're nicer to work with, "feel" better and will serve you well.

Cheers,

PS, don't forget the beer!

• mmmm snap-on are very nice but as stated very expensive!!

Kamasa are very good tbh - i have stripped a few engines down in the past with no problems with ratchets / breaker bars etc etc.

Facom are also extremely good in my experience, they are stanleys "top-end" kit and are very popular in europe.

Swissvax Certified Detailer.
    April 1998 BMW 840CiA Sport Individual

• Having previously been the owner of a handtool/engineering supply retail shop - It comes down to the old saying, "you get what you pay for"

Snap-on & Mac tools, etc... good tools & backup, extortionate prices, mainly purchased for show and bragging rights between mechanics.

From my experience, anything which has a lifetime guarantee is fine as long as there is a local stockist who is prepared to issue a replacement while the broken item is sent for replacement.

Manufactures I know who will do this (as we stocked these) are:-

Britool, Facom (who own Britool), Gedore, Stahlwille, Draper (expert only), Beta, and Kingdick.

My personal stash contains all the best items from a few suppliers - Gedore (spanners/pliers/impact sockets), Britool (screwdrivers/sockets), Beta (ratchets/drives) and Draper Expert for mostly everything else.

Essentially, if the price is right, it does the job, has a guarantee and feels good to handle/use/clean, then thats the one for you.

Hope this is of use

Regards

Nicky B

• Zitat von Fatandre;62029

What do you think of this for the beginning: The price is 35 pounds for all three. What do you say. Is that a good price?

1/2 ok 31cm, 3/8 ok 24cm, 1/4 ok 16cm

The Britool ratchets are okay...... but, the rubber handle will annoyingly slide off if any grease/oil gets under there, also the ratchet head uses fine teeth which clog relatively fast (easy to clean, but time consuming)

• used some halfords ratchets the other day...suprisingly good...

like others have stated, and which applies to many things, buy the best you can afford chap.

Swissvax Certified Detailer.
    April 1998 BMW 840CiA Sport Individual

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!