Cat converters

• Just had my 8 in for its annual saftey inspection and was told that it needs new cats at $2500/each! The dealer says they will have to ship them in from Germany. Yikes! I'll learn how to fabricate them myself before I'd pay $5000. Does anyone have any suggestions. In Canada our emission regulatiions will not allow us to cut them out or bypass them and in my province (NS) our saftey inspecitons include exhaust and emissions. There must be an aftermarked replacement or substitution????? Please......

Halifax, Canada

1995 840ci
    2001 Jeetta TDI
    2006 Porsche Cayenne TT (needed a sports car that'll push through 12 inches of snow)

• What exactly do they base the requirement for new Cats on (emissions, age etc) and who does this annual Safety inspection?

If its just emissions, surely with some clever use of engine additives and E5 fuel (or whatever is closest fuel with some ethanol in it) you could pass an emissions test on the day.

• testing

Most service stations have inspection licenses for the safteys. they have not yet introduced emission testing in this province but my rejection was based on age and condition. In may case the BMW also did the inspection.

Halifax, Canada

1995 840ci
    2001 Jeetta TDI
    2006 Porsche Cayenne TT (needed a sports car that'll push through 12 inches of snow)

• Catless

I think I am going to try and run the car without the cats, replacing them with stainless pipe. Has anyone out there tried this? What about the sensors, warning lights etc?

Halifax, Canada

1995 840ci
    2001 Jeetta TDI

• There is 2 threads here about "de-cat"ing and its effects (boost to performance and MPG, nicer sound!), I found them via the search before as I was curious.

OBDII cars (later than 1995 I think) have 4 O2 sensors and therefore will throw a CEL unless some steps are taken. Possibly something like using spacers to move the rear O2s out of the exhaust stream, not sure as I dont actually have an 8, but its something done on other cars.

• going catless is fine with M70 or S70 Engines - just leave the O2 Sensors in the exhaust stream (that is: DO NEVER omit the O2 sensors).

As mattsimis said: Omitting the cats in M73 or M60, M62 Engines is a bad idea as you will get a waring light! Possibly even the limp-home setting. One way to get good results is to use metallic catalyst converters which have significant less exhaust back pressure.

BTW: I am driving catless with an M70 - and I can't really tell a difference..

• i took down mine from 97' 840 and absoloutly no problems, more power,
    better consuption, feels like the car was kind of supid before while accelerating, they have
    always made me problems and i just got sick , just go to a exhaust garage,
    they'll fix the job and borrow some for the test.........
    that is if you don't mind polluting much more on short trips......:roll:
    thinking all cars before the 80's i think are catless........i also remember new after market ones in the u.k for 250 punds each, you gotta run a tight search though, sorry can't help you more...........:driver:

• Thanks again guys for all the tips..... more power, less fuel, and $5000 in my pocket rather than the dealer's. Seems like a no-brainer.

Halifax, Canada

1995 840ci
    2001 Jeetta TDI

• Ziggy,

did you have any problems with the O2 sensors, ie warning lights etc.?

Halifax, Canada

1995 840ci
    2001 Jeetta TDI

• Zitat von Mojo;63405

Thanks again guys for all the tips..... more power, less fuel, and $5000 in my pocket rather than the dealer's. Seems like a no-brainer.

Assuming you still pass emissions tests! There is a local product in Ireland (tho sold in the US) called Dipetane. Its a fuel additive, I find it visibly reduces smoke (on my diesel) and improves fuel economy on both our cars (petrol and diesel) slightly. I know of several people that used it in higher than required concentrations to pass our bi-annual emissions test, completely Cat-less.

Putting in 25% E85 would have a similar effect, it dramatically reduces CO and HC emissions.

• Zitat von Mojo;63406

Ziggy,

did you have any problems with the O2 sensors, ie warning lights etc.?

Something like either of these will stop a Check Engine Light / Emissions Error on the cars ECU.
    Angle block, custom made by a guy on VWVortex, presumably anyone could machine them though:

or "Spark Plug Anti foulers", which I cannot source in Ireland or UK.

Basically the 2nd O2 Sensor's job is to simply confirm there is less oxygen in the exhaust gas. Moving the sensor slightly "out" of the gas stream achieves the same effect while not messing up the cars ECU.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!