Becker/BMW Indianapolis meets Indianapolis Pro

• Some of you may know the mod I made to invert the display of the Becker/BMW Indianapolis 7969 to match the other displays in our cars - Becker/BMW Radio Navigation Indianapolis display mod II.

The Becker Grand Prix and Indianapolis series are in my opinion the most modern head units that look stock in the E31. The Indianapolis 7969 is a version made by Becker for BMW and features a BMW label (instead of Becker Indianapolis) and BMW orange illumination. The only drawback is that the Becker Grand Prix and Indianapolis series all have a positive display (black text on an illuminated background) where the E31 has negative displays (illuminated text on a black background). That's what my mod was about.

The Indianapolis was succeeded by the Indianapolis Pro, but that one never got a BMW version. The only difference between the Indianapolis and Indianapolis Pro is Bluetooth. It may be of little importance, but can be a great addition for people with cell phones who want to phone hands-free.

I just got my hands on an Indianapolis Pro and decided to put the whole front of my modified Indianpolis on this unit. The result:

A unit that still looks 100% BMW original, but now also features Bluetooth.

Thus it seems the front can be interchanged between all Traffic Pro, Grand Prix, Indianapolis and Indianapolis Pro models. If you now have a BMW Traffic Pro or BMW Indianapolis, you could put its whole front on a modern Indianapolis Pro and still retain the BMW orange illumination. The only drawback is that the genuine BMW units boot with "BMW" on the display, whereas the Becker Indianapolis Pro shows a Becker logo on boot up. Oh well, you can't have everything in life...

• Thanks for the compliments, guys! :cool:

Martin: I noticed the FSM Window Module is no longer listed on the 8er Products page. Do you no longer perform this mod?

And... I almost don't dare to ask, but any status update on the oil/water temperature/pressure mod for the OBC/MID? I'm really eagerly waiting on that one! :mrgreen:

• Zitat von Martin;65424

The FSM Window Module is here.

Thanks! Must have missed that page.

I was wondering, with all the timing issues you've experienced while developing this module... Why didn't you opt for another approach. Instead of modulating the data signal, why not just fake button presses? Ok, that's less professional, but I imagine it would work in every car. The only problem would of course be getting the rear windows up with a single button press. That would invlove a dumb timer.

Btw, inside the buttons module, all switches are double action except for the ones that control the rear window' up movement. Do you at any chance know a part number for the dual action switches? I've looked all over Farnell, but so far without luck - I'm not sure what such switches are called.

Zitat

OBC/MID mod: The time is the problem. I havn't enough. :harhar:
    I hope that we can finish it this year. :grin2:

Great! I'm really looking forward to that mod. That's what I call a really useful mod :top:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!