WINDSCREEN - Chipped

• I know there were previous threads but I cannot find....

What are members experiences of getting windscreen replaced...I have what seems like a thousand tiny chip marks all over my windscreen...probably an age thing (my car is 1995), and I am thinking of replacing the windscreen.

I seem to have read somewhere that replacing the windscreen is best avoided as the seals never seat properly again.

Advice greatly appreciated.

• Zitat von stevep840;66787

I had mine done by Auto glass now called RAC, a super efficient service 3 hr turn around, delighted;-)

Out of interest Steve, how much did you pay? Was it for the green sun tint (Grünkeil) version?

My screen will have to come out soon as I need to get the dreaded tin worm exterminated - I have bubbles in the roof corner which I know will be a hole in the corner when the work starts, screen has to come out to fix this properly and it will probably bust during removal (it's got a stoine chip anyway so it doesn't matter much).

• If the stone crazing/pitting is light, then is is possible to have the glass polished

http://www.glasspolish.info/?g…KGx2PL96JsCFUF_3godsAIn4w

It should be OK to replace the windscreen as well. it's just that the tools used for cutting through the existing bond are quite severe and will inevitably damage some of the paintwork. This shoud be repainted with a suitable primer to avoid subsequent corrosion and leaking. Also, it is advisable that the work is carried out in a workshop and not at the curbside. The windscreen is a structural part of the car and it is therefore best fitted in a dry, clean environment with the car on level ground. The polyurethane bonding agents take several hours to cure properly and although you could drive the car after an hour, it's best to leave it as long as possible to cure.

If your windscreen is still original fit, then it may also be worth taking some measurements of the clearances around the screen, so that these can be replicated when fitting the new screen, as it will help the outer rubber seal fit evenly.

• Zitat von HD;66785

....I seem to have read somewhere that replacing the windscreen is best avoided as the seals never seat properly again.....

Is your screen still original? Does it have the running-in advice stickers at the top?

• Yes arnie...still original screen.

Cheers for positive comments re Autoglass...I will now use them and have a new screen fitted.

Thanks everyone.

• Yes they are chip marks or pin-hole indents....I have previously read a thread (can't remember when) that screens in older cars can have this happen to them...it was some sort of glass composition issue if I recall.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!