Any interest in a full cruise control kit for 840?

• Thanks for the interest - this is now sold

Hi guys

I fitted a proper BMW cruise control kit to my 840 about 2 years ago. It's exactly the same kit as the factory fits (they all have a seperate loom, even factory fitted). I'm thinking of putting my car back to standard, which would include removal of the kit.

The kit comprises everything needed to get cruise working, inc control unit, actuator with mounting bracket, wiring loom, control stalk, clutch switch, etc. It's pretty easy to fit, as long as you're happy removing the odd panel here and there to run the wiring loom to the various places where it plugs in. As far as I'm aware, all 840s have the required connections in place, so there's no modification to any wiring required, just "plug and play".

The retrofit kit can no longer be ordered from BMW, and when it was available it cost silly money.

I'd be looking for around £250 for the lot, and I'll offer guidance on fitting it too. If there's any interest get in touch and I'll make my decision from there.

Cheers
    Paul

• I still have this for sale. Very nearly sold it but I kind of forgot to get back to the seller until several months later :O I've since removed the kit and returned the car to standard, as I never used it on the roads I drive. So it's ready to go.

• Hi Paul,

I am interested -But, would you consider fitting it to my car (for a fee, of course)? Only thing is, I won't be back in Edinburgh until June, so it would have to wait until then.

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• Hi Jaap

Yes I can help you out fitting (I'm assuming you'd be happy to get involved as well).

Much of the work is just removing bits of trim to fit everything, so with two of us doing it things will be much quicker. It's all plug and play, there's no drilling, cutting, soldering or anything like that involved. All the mounts and connections are already there. It's just a little time consuming doing it all carefully.

Let me know ASAP if you're expecting to be around in February, and if you definitely want the kit. I'll hold it for you if you do.

Cheers
    Paul

• That's great Paul - yes, I would definitely like to buy the kit and should be able to fit it with you in the last week of February. Even if I don't manage to get back to Edinburgh then, I will be happy to buy the kit -I can pay you now if you prefer.

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• Hi Jaap

No worries - I'm happy to take you at your word, so I'll put it aside for you, and we can sort out payment once you're happy with it fitted into your car. I'll mark the thread as "sold".

Drop me a PM once you know your availability.

Cheers
    Paul

• Zitat von Paul_M;72730

It's just a little time consuming doing it all carefully.

:harhar: M for Master of diminutives :laugh:

I seem to remember that the least one can say is that it is a backbreaking job :lol: I have fond memories of backaches due to living in the boot for an hour or so ;)
    Anyway - great fun!
    At the time of my retrofit I had serious problems finding a well hidden plug underneath the dash going to either the extra loom or the stick (can´t remember now) - was it the same in yours?

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Zitat von reinhard;72781

:harhar: M for Master of diminutives :laugh:

I seem to remember that the least one can say is that it is a backbreaking job :lol: I have fond memories of backaches due to living in the boot for an hour or so ;)
    Anyway - great fun!
    At the time of my retrofit I had serious problems finding a well hidden plug underneath the dash going to either the extra loom or the stick (can´t remember now) - was it the same in yours?

Cheers
    Reinhard

It's not too bad when you know how ;)

The boot part is quite easy in my experience: remove a few bits of trim, and mount the ECU on the existing plate then secure with two nuts. Run that end of the loom through the existing hole behind the seats and plug it into the ECU. OK you have to run the loom alongside the car, but I didn't find anything particularly difficult, just time consuming.

It perhaps helps that I'd previously run wiring along the length of the car for audio upgrades, so know how everything comes apart and fits together :)

The one part that can be challenging, as you state, is getting the plug that connects the cruise control loom to the rest of the car's loom. Mainly because the instructions I had were very vague to its actual location. Being that I've now fitted and removed a cruise kit twice, I don't find it much of an issue.

It's only that one connector that needs to be found; the stalk connector is part of the cruise kit, so you just run it to the same place as the wiper stalk connector, and it clips on. You then mount the cruise control stalk (again it just clips on to the existing runners) and plug the connectors together.

Time consuming, but not difficult. It was certainly easier than changing the alternator in my experience -- BMW helpfully put the terminals at the back of the unit, then give you very little free play in the wiring. The result is that you have to somehow get your hand round the back of the alternator and connect the wiring (entirely by feel as you can't see anything) in a rather cramped space :banghead:.

There are a few jobs I'd loathe to take on in the E31, but this one's not too bad :mrgreen:

Cheers
    Paul

• Will do Paul - Thanks

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!