Steering box broken

• Hi, Disaster has happened :(

I was reversing out from a drive way and i turned the wheel and heard a snap and the wheels now dont turn when i spin the wheel :( When i spin the wheel it makes a horrible 'Clunk, clunk, clunk' sound and the wheels jerk a tiny bit on every clunk sound.

Ive had the car taken to the garage on the back of a truck (i was not at home when this happened :banghead: ) And they said that it was the steering box. They are storing it at the garage untill i can decide what to do. They have not had it on ramps but they assure me its the steering box.

Does anyone know where to get one 'Cheap' as i know they are crazy expencive new.

I thank god that i was not driving at speed at the time or i would not be here i expect. Catastophic steering faliure.

Please help.

• Hi Tim,

Sorry to hear about your disaster!

First thing to do is get the garage to check it out anyway. It is madness to diagnose a fault without ACTUALLY looking at it to confirm that it is the steering box! :hmmmm:

Second, try giving FAB a call. I've used them before and found them to be excellent. Their website is:

http://www.fabdirect.com

Hope you get it sorted...keep us updated! :)

------------------------------------------
    BMW 840ci Sport Invididual 1997
    Land Rover Freelander HSE Td4 2004
    Maserati Shamal 1996

• It is hard to imagine what "clunk clunk clunk" really sounds like, but there might be the faint possibility that nothing else than a guibo type rubber loc. between the upper and the lower steering shaft has broken apart and there is no connection to the box anymore.
    There is one known precedence for this from the US dating back many yrs. Read up late Kurt Grayson´s account

It is part#2 on the following scheme.

You can check by turning the steering wheel and see whether the U-joint is still rotating.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• You can also find people breaking our cars on eBay (swines ;)). http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/bmw-840-…5c05&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

If I were you i'd get underneath the car yourself and check exactly where the problem is. You should be able to diagnose the steering box easily by watching the steering column as it exits the bulkhead, if that moves in line with the steering wheel, then it's not that rubber grommet in Reinhard's post. If the can't see the pitman move properly then you know it's the box :(

Unless you really trust your garage use your own eyes. Garage's lie and are regularly stupid. It could be a loose Pitman or Idler which would be cheap. Why would a steering box just break without notice? I would assume it would wear out and get very sloppy before giving up. I guess it's possible, but it doesn't sound likely. Good luck mate.

Nick

• A steering box broken in two??? Did a nuke bomb explode there laterly? :grin2:
    I've heard of worn steering box, but never of box fallen apart...
    I would also rather assume the rubber joint is the problem :top:

Das was du heute denkst, wirst du morgen sein.
    Buddha

• There was also a fractured Pitman arm mount in the US. It broke where it is clamped to the steering box.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!