Position Lights

• First, I apologise, I don't know all technical terms in english, I hope that it is nevertheless understandable ...

Many of us 850-owners now equip their cars with position lights (Tagfahrlicht). According to the ETK, there are special front combi lights for cars delivered to northern countries (ie cars originally equipped with position lights). Thus far, I have not been able to find out the difference between "normal" combi lights and combi lights for northern county cars - it might be that front position lights in northern countries are red or amber?

I would appreciate if someone owning an 850 with original position lights could help shed light on this or provide a picture of the front of his car ...

Best regards

Peter

• The difference is bacically in the small square parking light section of the light.
    The one with daytime lights have a socket that will accept a dual power bulb (like a brake light bulb).
    so you have both 5W and 21W in the same bulb.
    I know some users on this board has it I believe they are in Switzerland.

Think there was a post about this a short while ago, you can find more info here.
    http://www.8er.org/forum/showt…t=9139&highlight=northern

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• The question aims more at what the glass lens looks like or whatever markings can be found there.

There are a total of 5 distinct FTP/indicator lights, 4 are depicted below (missing is the US version with the orange indicator lens):

177/178 are the standard issue "German" (and most everywhere else) ones with the tinted indicator lens and clear glass for FTP and parking lights.

943/944 are predominantly used in cars that go to France (maybe Belgium too) and have yellow glass for FTP and parking lights

857/858 allegedly are for cars bound to Japan. So far we are unaware of the differences between those and 177/178 - it might just be a certificate marking on the lens.

327/328: The ones Peter is interested in. Some of the Northern countries had daytime running lights (DRL) as a prereq even long before the E31 came into existence, hence BMW used that 5W/21W bulb which was hooked up by means of some relais and put into action by a different light switch - same as what you can buy today through Martin & Christoph in Switzerland.

The real question here is about the differences in the lens between 177/178 and 327/328.
    In Germany (maybe all EU) lens have to be approved according to guideline ECE R87 to be used as DRLs and they have to have an imprint "RL" like so:

What we´d like to find out is whether a car destined for a Nordic country, ideally equipped with S896 DAYTIME LIGHTS FUNCTION, has that "RL" on the lens or what makes up the difference to what we are using here.

To solve this question one could of course buy one of the FTP light strips, but there ought to be a cheaper way :D

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Norway has had DRL since about 1980.
    Only 6 where sold new here and if I was able to track down one of those 6 cars here they might have this Northern light option.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!