Quick Fix for Cold weather Gremlins

• Issue: Cold/Winter temperatures below 40F cause door locks, windows, wipers, sunroof, trunk latch and interior courtesy lights to stop working or work intermitantly until car warms up. Issues occur when car is parked overnight.
    Issues disappear when warmed up.

Solution: Replace general module located to left of steering wheel under dash.

Temporary Quick Fix: If you use your car sparingly or rarely during winter,
    hang a 60 watt bulb lamp in the interior when not in use. This will generate enough heat to
    prevent the issue from happening.

• I seem to remember seeing an article on replacing the capacitors in the general module to fix this problem.

I think that our cars are falling into the failing large capacitor stage that the E32 has been going thru for years. Theirs were concentrated in the instrument cluster.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• I might be having the same issue here.

Today I could not get the alarm off, when unlocking (from the door) and opening the door the alarm went on. I could hear that the remote unit was working as the relays were clicking inside when pushing the remote (not original BMW).

After couple of hours of keeping the interior heater inside the car all started to work.

Our temperatures here have been from -15 to -25celsius this year so far.

Marko
    from Finland
    850i -91, 6 Speed manual

• Sounds wery much like an capasitor issue.

An old capasitor often looses it's capasity when cold, have seen 100uF capasitors measuring 25uF when cold and heated up with the soldering iron getting back to it's stated value.

Old trick used in Radio/tv repair buisness is heat guns and freezing spray to locate Cap's that has lost it's capasity.
    This problem is actually quite common for all types of electronic, specially swith mode powersupplies where it's the problem number one.
    ( have made a lot of money on that :grin2: )

Have seen several post's on this issue , here's one http://www.8er.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9527

Regards
    Terje

• Just curious.. can this issue affect the instrument cluster?

I've been going over a lot of the wiring and connectors this winter, and while it has been really cold here I've not been much in the garage. Probably been down to -15c/5f in there for a couple of weeks. Now that it's milder again (0c/32f) I have connected everything back together, but now I got a problem with the instrument cluster lights.
    Left turn signal makes the background lightning blink on and off as well as the turn signals, and there's a slight buzzing noise coming from the cluster. This gets louder if I increase the background lightning with the adjustment wheel to the left.
    Also as soon as the car starts there's always a slight, very dim light in the left green cursor (when the lower lights are lit).

I've been thinking that I've probably made a short somewhere while working on the car, but if the capasitors or general module can cause this I have an easier place to start looking.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!