Jins 840 sport restoration thread

• Zitat von Deep;81996

Hi Jin,

I look forward to the results especially after my failed quick restoration of the leather. :top:

I've got 1 coat of paint applied with a sponge on them and they look pretty good

The colour match is perfect - no photos yet as the lighting was poor.

• Zitat von Fatandre;83300

Looking insane. Love it

Thanks

Even though they're 20" wheels they don't actually look oversized, they look like the "right" size for the car.

And yes the very low profile tyres + bilstein + eibachs are very bumpy.....

• Bugger!

and I have just bought 2 x 25's Rear and 1 x 30's front for the future upgrade to 20's when ebay come up with some not bolted to an E38... and now your telling me it's not so cool :banghead: !!!!!!!!!!!

17's 18's 19's I don't know??????:help: might have to try the lot.... although might give the 19's a miss having seen some on an 8 at the breakfast club... not great... defo belong on a B10 V8s

Why have 4 when you can make a V and have 8 and roar

BMW 840Ci Sport (After 8 Club member now).... BMW X5 4.6is (LPG).... TVR Chimeara 4.0

Slipped a 6 in......Racing Dynamics K38
    And another 6.....Alpina Roadster 3.4S

• Zitat von robmarrs;83314

Bugger!

and I have just bought 2 x 25's Rear and 1 x 30's front for the future upgrade to 20's when ebay come up with some not bolted to an E38... and now your telling me it's not so cool :banghead: !!!!!!!!!!!

17's 18's 19's I don't know??????:help: might have to try the lot.... although might give the 19's a miss having seen some on an 8 at the breakfast club... not great... defo belong on a B10 V8s

TBH, I don't think there's that much difference to you between 30 and 25 if you're coming from 18's.

you do find yourself looking out for manhole covers and pot holes though.

Looks wise, these are the only wheels I've seen that look 100% right.

Now all I need is genuinely low dust brake pads!!

• Zitat von Jin;83315

TBH, I don't think there's that much difference to you between 30 and 25 if you're coming from 18's.

you do find yourself looking out for manhole covers and pot holes though.

Oh yes there is,firstly try the 25s then go to 30s is the same difference as stepping out of a lotus & into a merc:top: ,well nearly:winkwink:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• I think the 20" are the only softlines with the correct offsets and spigot size (no spacers or hubrings), but lookwise and ridewise, I think I prefer the 18" (ex e39) with 35 and 40 profiles tyres.

• Wheel/tyre size is one of those many areas where there's no definitive perfect combination.
    It depends on what each individual wants/will put up with in terms of diameter vs ride comfort to achieve the look they desire.

• Zitat von Deep;87821

Looks fantastic Jin, how did the seat restoration go? any pics?

Not as well as I'd hoped mainly because I seem to be utterly useless with the spray kit they supply and I ended up having to rush the job because I needed to vacate the space I was using.

The colour match was very good but I couldn't get to grips with spraying the colour on so resorted to sponging on a few coats which went fine.

The real trouble for me started with the lacquer, firstly because of dripping, then the nozzle blockages and finally the matt finish drying with little white dots in it.

I think that used by a pro with decent kit this stuff is very good but I'm not altogether happy with my work

I'll get some pics up soon

• Thanks Jin, had similiar problems when I tried to repaint my leather, will most likley head down the professional route once I manage to get some time and a few extra pennies. :top:

• Steering and Headlight service

Hi All

It's been a while since I updated this thread and the 8 recently went down to the Maestro (Gerry at PhoenixMotorsport) himself for a service and sort a couple of niggling issues that had been bugging me.

Steering:
    Ever since I got the car the it was impossible to centre steering dead straight and there was a lots of play and all the wrong sorts of "feel" being transmitted from the road.

The tie rods and and a couple of bushes were replaced but the real difference I believe was from having someone who really knows what they;re doing diagnosing and setting up the steering. The difference was night and day, the steering response is massively improved and is now really enjoyable as opposed to being loose and vague.

Headlights:
    I was suffering from the common broken adjusters syndrome as well as slightly stiff and noisy operation. the aim was all over the place. I had bought adjusters with the genuine good intention of following Gerry's overhaul guide. However when I sat down and thought it through I concluded that that a day of leisurely tinkering would end up with lots of swearing and the extra cost of all the bits I would break and Gerry quoted me an all in price that was excellent value IMHO.

Gerry did fantastic job and now the light up road and dont vibrate annoyingly anymore. The operation is MUCH slicker and faster now - I did actually spend time playing with them with the bonnet up - I'm that sad.

I'm thrilled with the car now, i guess the 2 things I had looked at are arguably the most important things on these cars - having sorted steering is important in any car - if you've got sloppy steering have it looked at as it may be sort-able relatively inexpensively.

The headlights are what make this car iconic and special so its worth taking time to making sure they are maintained well.

thats all for now

I'll post some pics soon - promise!

Jin

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!