Activated Charcoal Canister.

• Well, I have been out today playing with the car and I got curious about this "Activated Charcoal Canister" thingy. Now, dont get me wrong, I know what it does but I just wanted to know how. I also wanted to see what was inside the canister so I can now catagorically confirm that the Activated Charcoal Canister is completely full.............of activated charcoal. :top:

Oh, OK then, I also wanted to know if it actually lasted forever or whether it was a serviceable part. I also wanted to see if it could have been the cause of a fuel smell I got in the summer. I removed it by removing the washer bottle and then, undoing the clamp bolt, lifted it clear.

As this is a once only operation, and it would be difficult to re-assemble it, I thought I would show you what was inside. (Only a fraction of the charcoal shown).

So, there is a metal grille that retains a filter pad in position by being peened in place. Then there is an awful lot of very smelly charcoal but at the inner end, the central spout extends into the charcoal with a small plastic filter. The other end is then fitted with another filter pad and gauze.

The fuel tank breathes through the plastic filter straight into the charcoal. Just about 2" from that, the outer pipe is connected to the inlet manifold via electronic solenoids that vent the canister to the inlet from the DK motors. The far end is vented to atmosphere via the larger 8mm hose fitting. I suspect that when saturated, this is the fuel small in high ambient temperatures.

I'm gonna put me anorak back on now! :silenced:

Byeeee.

8Tech.

• Well, this post prompted some discussion!! :dontknow:

Just in case anyone IS reading it, I have now found some identical granular Activated charcoal from FLUVAL for topping up their fish tank filters. Most of the vendors of the activated charcoal (or carbon) are supplying pellets. The filter on the car takes just under 500g and I just got 1000g for £15.00, enough for 2 replacements.

The old carbon still smells VERY strongly of fuel despite being left in the sun to try and evaporate it for over a week. I think this will be a good way to spend an hour and £7.50 rather than £100 on a new one. :top:

8Tech.

• I can confirm what Gerry said: you can buy activated charcoal at any mid-sized pet shop. It's very common to properly maintain water quality on the aquariums. And it's not specially expensive.

And, of course I am reading. Very interesting issue (as always, Gerry), as I am thinking about replacing it...

• Zitat von acca68;75981

And, of course I am reading. Very interesting issue (as always, Gerry), as I am thinking about replacing it...

Me too !!!!

I have just checked the FLUVAL price ( some fishs around ), and 1kg is 12€.
    This is the kind of DIY jobs that need to be keeped on the hard disks forever.

Thank you very much Gerry for such an interesting post ( as usual :top: ).

Regards.

• Hi 8tech!

I know that i might be 4 years late.. but has that resolved your fuel smell in summer?

I am dealing with an unknown fuel smell as well; trying to single out what it could be :)

• Hi Gerry,
    VERY late reply, but only because have decided to do the same rebuild on the canister as you detailed in another thread.
    Me too - noticed a fuel smell in the engine bay area through the summer (firstly thought I had a leaking fuel line but then saw your thread) where the car has been standing most of the time.
    Took the canister out and it certainly smells like it's saturated with fuel.

Question I have - how did you get the top (venting end) metal grille/mesh out of the canister ?

I have drilled out the 4 peened points with a 4mm drill (seems big enough to get rid of the peening) but can I get that metal grille out ..........
    Its a very tight fit in the canister and I've tried everything I can think of to get it out, but no joy so far.
    Any tips/ suggestions as to how to get it out?

BTW - should the possibility of a saturated carbon filter perhaps be a warning for those owners doing very low mileage and/or having their cars standing for significant periods ? This filter is now very expensive from BMW if it needs replacing.....

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!