Yet another dull MPG thread

• Zitat von Daz850;85287

Mine is a 1992. :harhar:
    So I can remove them as long as it passes emmisions?
    Should be better without them as they weigh a bit too!

Sorry Daz I missed your question.

I am no expert on these things but I think it is simply that pre 93 cars do not have any set limits or references to be measured against. I'm sure someone will chip in and confirm this.

• Zitat von NickF;85292

I de-catted mine, never looked back. The car is actually in an exhaust shop today having extra silencers fitted as it was super loud. Straight pipes from headers to cross over pipe then magnaflow back boxes. There is a school of thought that when back pressure gets too low things don't run quite right. I think my setup was too free-flowing, and mega-loud.

Parts of the intake and exhaust system are designed to be resonant to help fill and evacuate the engine cylinders. If you mess about with these things too much you can reduce performance. Although a straight removal of the cat should be OK. The CSi has a high-flow metal matrix cat in place of the usual ceramic monolith and so if replacing the cat - if you need to have one- it would be good to get one of the former types.

• No problems with emissions, failed on lots of other stuff though :) The emissions requirements for cars registered before 1st August 1992 are much more relaxed and my car passed no problem last year. For later cars there is a "Catalyst Check" where there are stricter tests for carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons and a new test for lambda. They don't test if you have a catalytic converter, more that you pass the emissions check, reality is there is no way an 8 could pass these tests if it had been de-catted. Some new little tiny cars can be de-catted and still pass an MoT due to them being so feeble that can't muster enough crud to fail.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!