Yet another dull MPG thread

• Hi everyone,

I'm driving my car everyday at the moment from my house in St Albans to East Finchley tube station. Mostly M1 (10 miles) at largely legal speeds (give or take) and around 5 miles of general messing around on busy-ish A roads around London - generally moving though, maybe 10 mins. I'm getting 17mpg which hurts long terms. Is this in line with what other M70 powered owners would expect to get in the scenario? If it is, I promise to shut up about it and never mention fuel consumption again, but I think it's a tad on the low side in which case what can I do about it?

So far I have:

• Ignition: changed plugs, HT leads, coils, caps and rotors
    • Fuel: changed all under bonnet fuel lines and the fuel filters
    • Intake: stripped and cleaned DKs (although I didn't dismantle the DK's gearbox), changed air filters, resealed IM gaskets
    • Changed O2 sensors

Have I missed anything? Is the journey too short to return good MPG?

Please save me from the Fiat Seicento that is my other option, tragically returning close to 50mpg...bloody thing.

BTW - regardless of cost I'm loving the car now it's back on the road.....so glad I didn't kill it. :)

• Translates into 16.5L/100km or 14.2 US mpg - sounds perfectly reasonable for the schedule you have.
    We have been running our M62 for 7yrs in a similar fashion and it returns between 13 and 15L/100km (eq. to 19-22 imp. mpg)

I have done quick maths on this - 30mls per day return @ 240 days per year gives me 7200 mls commuting. Net result is 420 imp. gallons or 1900 liters.
    Apart from the unbearable pain a Seicento would cost you 150 gallons. Your savings with that wheelcart hence sum up to 270 gallons or 1200 liters.
    What is petrol these days in the UK? 1.20 per liter give or take?

This means your difference between a luxurious V12 cruiser and a measly 600cc wheelbarrow is just 6 quid a working day, maybe 15 minutes overtime.

On top of this you get people smiling, not laughing at you ;)

For my 2p: well worth it :top:

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Reinhard - loving your maths! People do laugh at me in my Seicento, and it's not just any Seicento, it's a knackered Seicento that I picked up for £400 while my car was off the road. It's red with an orange driver door, i'm not joking. Oh the shame.....

Thanks for the answers, I just wanted to make sure the motor was running properly and not throwing fuel out of the exhaust. Sounds like it's OK and I need to stop being a big girl and do my 15 mins overtime!

On the chipset front, I've seen claims that chips can improve MPG a bit, is that just wishful thinking?

• Zitat von NickF;76046

On the chipset front, I've seen claims that chips can improve MPG a bit, is that just wishful thinking?

probably is an elephant of truth in that, but.....

since you get extra performance you are most likely to use that advantage instead, even without thinking once you are used to it, and so fuel suffers further in real terms :laugh:

This happened when I had my van chipped. It shrunk the world a little though, if you get my meaning ;)

• Im doing 55km a day, all backroads, generally at high speed (nearly motorway speed) and get 20mpg in an 850CSi. That includes two 3-car-at-once overtakes at 90mph road permitting on average.

If I try, I could get 23mpg. MPG went up with the Cats removed and I have new Ignition (everything), one new MAF (:grin2: ), fuel filters, refurbed TBs, new O2s, new air intake sensors, new Engine Coolant sensors etc.

• Zitat

Hi Nick,

As you know I recently changed everything including the wokke chips. My commute is 80miles all round of about one third dual carriageway and two thirds nightmare. Before the change I never ever exceeded 16-20mpg now it is 20-25mpg, so I am convinced they helped. :top:

• On my current, not quite functioning set of chips I get 14.5L/100km at cruise, and 23.0l/100km with mixed driving.

When we drove to Sweden last week my car used about 20 liters more each way than one of the CSI's that I was driving with.

Also I noticed that the CSI was 3-400rpm lower than mine at highway cruise of 130kp/h. Mine had about 2800rpm and the CSI had about 2400.
    Guess that is the difference between my 4-speed auto and 3.45 diff, and the CSI stock drive train.

Before I started modifying my engine I got 11-12.0L/100km at cruise and 14.5-17.0L/100km mixed driving.
    Inner city driving easily came up to 20L/100km

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• My original 850 with Wokke chips does about the same as Noggie's original setup.

Last summer I drove from Stavanger to Kristiansand which is 230km/140miles and averaging around 80-100km/h. I ended up with a consumption of just over 11l/100km. (25.5 miles/gallon(UK) or 21.5 miles/gallon(US))

It is seldom I get that low consumption on my car, but on that trip I used the cruise control a lot and just followed the traffic.

• My 850CI averages 11.4 mpg now that I have stripped out the CAT's. I drive 10 miles a day in Guernsey at a max of 35 mph ;) before the exhaust upgrade it was 9.6 - 10.4 max mpg. With fuel here at 98p a litre including road tax, it is my pick me up after a long day at the office. When i took her to the UK I achieved 19.7 mpg for a week average.

Cheers
    Bob

• Zitat von Bob Beebe;85238

My 850CI averages 11.4 mpg now that I have stripped out the CAT's. I drive 10 miles a day in Guernsey at a max of 35 mph ;) before the exhaust upgrade it was 9.6 - 10.4 max mpg. With fuel here at 98p a litre including road tax, it is my pick me up after a long day at the office. When i took her to the UK I achieved 19.7 mpg for a week average.

Cheers
    Bob

Mine also averages 11.4 mpg.
    Do you not need the cats for the MOT?

• Zitat von Daz850;85262

Mine also averages 11.4 mpg.
    Do you not need the cats for the MOT?

Not if it's pre 1993/94. I was informed by the re -mapping people that removal of the cats is the single biggest and most effective improvement to performance, for no cost that is, assuming you would only have them removed when fitting a new exhaust.

Zitat

Originally Posted by Bob Beebe
    My 850CI averages 11.4 mpg now that I have stripped out the CAT's. I drive 10 miles a day in Guernsey at a max of 35 mph :wink: before the exhaust upgrade it was 9.6 - 10.4 max mpg. With fuel here at 98p a litre including road tax, it is my pick me up after a long day at the office. When i took her to the UK I achieved 19.7 mpg for a week average.

Hey Bob, in the auto you will not even get into top gear at that speed, no wonder the mpg is :ahhhhh:

• We don't have MOT's in the Channel Islands, we just get along with driving great cars forever. I walked down a road today in town past three cars together - a couple of old Mini's and a Morris minor together. Love it!

We do not have emission controls restrictions either so you can drive what you like as long as it has all the usual tyres and lights working OK :top:

As you say, the speed limits can be restrictive, when you go to the UK though with straight throughs on, the Guernsey plate gives it away as to where you are from. Mine is just a number... The authorities leave us alone. All our plates are black with silver numbers on..

Cheers

Bob
    850CI

• Zitat von Nifty50;85264

Not if it's pre 1993/94. I was informed by the re -mapping people that removal of the cats is the single biggest and most effective improvement to performance, for no cost that is, assuming you would only have them removed when fitting a new exhaust.

Mine is a 1992. :harhar:
    So I can remove them as long as it passes emmisions?
    Should be better without them as they weigh a bit too!

• I de-catted mine, never looked back. The car is actually in an exhaust shop today having extra silencers fitted as it was super loud. Straight pipes from headers to cross over pipe then magnaflow back boxes. There is a school of thought that when back pressure gets too low things don't run quite right. I think my setup was too free-flowing, and mega-loud.

• Zitat von NickF;85292

I de-catted mine, never looked back. The car is actually in an exhaust shop today having extra silencers fitted as it was super loud. Straight pipes from headers to cross over pipe then magnaflow back boxes. There is a school of thought that when back pressure gets too low things don't run quite right. I think my setup was too free-flowing, and mega-loud.

How do you get on with emissions at mot time Nick?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!