Should I lower the Front?

• Zitat von Jin;77943

Man,

I love those wheels - I assume they're standard E38 fitment/offsets?

They're going on my long long term wishlist.;-)

Thank you ,you have very good taste indeed:harhar:

The 'Lets keep it Original brigade loath them' but hey,what do they know??

Standard E38 but with smaller tyres, their is a good set on ebay now,.

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Zitat von rcrad6653;77880

Front spring rates of the major manufacturers work well with our cars. Eibachs could be bought and the arse's sold to offset cost.

I have a set of Eibachs waiting to go on Randy.
    Are they no good for the back?

• Zitat von Daz850;78151

I have a set of Eibachs waiting to go on Randy.
    Are they no good for the back?

They are fine Daz, 3 posts up the Grey car has Eibach;-)

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• As stated, Eibachs are fine for the rear.... it's the H&R rears that are too soft. Those are even softer than OEM, and actually put the arse lower than the front. When combined with high pressure Bilstein shocks they (or any lowering/stiffer spring for that matter) magnify the stresses on the shock towers and can cause catastrophic failure of the tower mounts. Reinforcement plates are always good insurance against this.

• Call me dense, but that went completely over my head schnitz....:hmmmm:

My earlier post referred to commonly available springs that are only available in sets, making it a bit expensive to mix 'n match to get a different setup than what the major manufacturers hand you. I'd intended to make it clear that Eibach's are fine for a full set while H&R's are not. The rear eibach pair could be sold off to buy OEM Mtechs while the H&R rears should be relegated to wine bottle holders. (the pair on the right are 3/4 coil-cut OEM... notice the wire size difference)

Steve seems to have it all well in hand with his custom solution and I'm quite keen to hear the results. I'd buy a set if the reviews are good.

• Someone remind me again please - my car left Dingolfing with M tech springs all round. Now it has Eibachs all round but I still have the M Techs (now refurbished and powdercoated) sitting in the garage. I have in my mind that the optimal set-up is Eibach front and M Tech rear - somewhere I've seen a comparison chart but I can't find it right now. What was the reasoning behind the Eibach front M Tech rear arrangement and does anyone have that chart handy?
    Cheers

PS anyone want to buy a pair of M Tech front springs?

• Here's the chart. As you can see there isn't much difference between the Eibach and Mtech. If you desire to stiffen up the rear a bit, I would say that-that difference is about the minimum you'd feel with the 'butt meter'. Sadly there isn't a comparison there to the Eibach front with the Mtech. I've been hyper-sensitive to changes lately while doing my suspension setup, but I could tell just a very subtle difference in the previous 380 lb/in to the current 430 lb/in Eibach coilovers. I'm very happy with the Mtech rear springs and they were my baseline for the whole system. Because I have the ability to easily adjust the damping of the Koni shocks I have come to my personal preference of using a stiffer spring rate and a softer shock (front Koni's on comfort, and rear Mtech shockers-all fluid shocks vs high pressure) damping rate to give me the firm-but-forgiving ride I wanted.

• Zitat von stevep840;78157

They are fine Daz, 3 posts up the Grey car has Eibach;-)

Cheers Steve.
    That looks just right, but I don't think my measly 17's will fill the arches as well as those 20's :laugh:
    Were your eibachs 25mm front and 15/20mm rear?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!