Should I lower the Front?

• Yes it does look like it might benefit visually from that. I'm sure this is highly unscientific, but have you held a spirit level along the black strip on the side to see if the car is pointing up? That's what I would do (before being told I was complete tool for doing so).

The single one criticism I have of the e31 body is that the front wheelarch is cut so much higher than the rear, leaving plenty of air above the front tyre. Anyone know why? Steering? Visually, this can only increase the impression the car sits higher at the front. Many other cars seem to have perfectly equal apertures.

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• It doesn't look right at all Steve. I won't touch on the oversized wheels and tyres you've chosen, that's personal interpretation as to what the individual wants for their car. But how could you drop the rear and think you'd not need to drop the front an equal amount as well? Our cars have a natural rake in the design. My car is exactly the same drop front and rear.

• Quote But how could you drop the rear and think you'd not need to drop the front an equal amount as well? Our cars have a natural rake in the design. My car is exactly the same drop front and rear. Quote

That me O'd Duck was all about the PI spring kit I chose, can't remember the claimed drop but it was different Front & Rear as are most lowering spring kits, so no real surprise I suppose.

The same wheels on my previous 850 fitted with Eibach springs & standard shocks looked so much better so I know it's down to the springs but easily remidied with a set of custom springs.

I'm gauging other owners views here, so yours are most welcome Mate:top:

Zitat

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• The photo could be better in order to assess how a car sits; for two reasons...

a) The concrete car park does not appear level and therefore wheels are doing different things.
    b) All lines in the background have a slope to the right, downwards, possibly generating optical illusions.

I would go to an industrial estate and find a snooker table car-park with a uniform background.

Not a great supporter of the modification scene, but with that photo alone, yes, the front looks a tad high.

• Steve, are those PI springs linear or progressive? A 3/4 (+ or -) coil cut would drop'er down nicely, being aware to 'clock' the springs. Also, if Bilsteins are being used then those will take back some of the stated drop of the kit. I confess I read the original post as your having dropped only the rear..apologies as needed.... ;)

• Hi Steve,

Yes, the front needs to come down, about 30mm I would say to get the rake the car should have. I know the big wheels will fill the arches but they will not affect the rake of the car.

To be perfectly honest, the car appears standard ride height at the front. It would appear that PI have a similar problem to H+R in that they only did the maths right on one end of the car!

I hope your spring manufacturer is really switched on because I can see more tears if they get it wrong.

Top marks for going where others have feared to tread and I hope it all works out in the end but getting the spring rate, pre-load and ride height all correct is not for the faint-hearted.

Good luck and if it all goes Pete Tong, I have Eibach's in stock. :grin2:

8Tech.

• Thanks for all your comments Chaps, I'm now 100% certain it has to be done it is just which way.:hmmmm:

At first i was thinking of chopping the spring but realise it is bit of a bodge , then I was made aware of a firm called "Falkners" who make springs to customer requirements.

They need me to take a measurement with the spring still fitted to the car, then send 1x spring as a sample for them to test the spring rate/take the required measurements in order to give me a set of springs that suit my needs.

So they seem to talk the talk.

Gerry you are probably right on the 50mm,I had previously only 'visually' measured & assumed 15 mm so after checking with the tape i recon I'm going to go with 35 mm:grin2:

If I get it wrong then it's not as exspensive as some of my f**k ups:laugh:

• Zitat von 8Tech;77869

Faulkners are very good springs. They manufacture them for competition coil overs and are very knowldgeable.

Cheers Gerry ,thanks for the Faulkners vote of confidence, very reassuring;-)

Got your pm ,thanks, be in touch shortly:top:

• If you decide to go the Faulkners route Steve I'd be quite curious to know what the final tally is all in, for a pair of theirs. While as you know I'm all for diverting from the beaten path I can't help but wonder if the end justifies the means. Gerry's comment on H&R's is valid in that they got it right on only one end... the front... and in my experience the drop is just right to match what you have rearward. Front spring rates of the major manufacturers work well with our cars. Eibachs could be bought and the arse's sold to offset cost. I suppose that if a custom made pair of springs equals say, the total cost of a full set of H&R then it's a moot point for bragging rights alone, but otherwise.....

• Zitat von rcrad6653;77880

If you decide to go the Faulkners route Steve I'd be quite curious to know what the final tally is all in, for a pair of theirs. While as you know I'm all for diverting from the beaten path I can't help but wonder if the end justifies the means. Gerry's comment on H&R's is valid in that they got it right on only one end... the front... and in my experience the drop is just right to match what you have rearward. Front spring rates of the major manufacturers work well with our cars. Eibachs could be bought and the arse's sold to offset cost. I suppose that if a custom made pair of springs equals say, the total cost of a full set of H&R then it's a moot point for bragging rights alone, but otherwise.....

:winkwink:£65 +vat:harhar: 14 days delivery from placement of order, My friend it is a no brainer:top:

• Great! Good for you.... at that price I could think it even reasonable to ship a set over here. The fact you can buy in pairs is worth twice the price of admission IMO.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!