Leather Scuff Marks

• Dear all,

I have trailed the threads on restoration of the leather seats, and liquid leather seems to be the product of choice, but is there anything that will help get rid of or reduce the scuff marks on the leather?
    All suggestions would be much appreciated.

:top:

• It is grey with blue piping, to be honest it is not too bad - mainly aropund the side supports (atleast I think so), but if there is anything out there that would provide some improvement at minimal cost I am willing to try it (rather than have the seats re-upholstered).

• My seats are in ever so easy to match black. I did mine around 4 years ago and they still look pretty good. You can see them for yourself if you like. I am up the road from you.

• Careful with the Gliptone leather conditioner. Use sparingly and wipe off soon after application as per instructions. I made the mistake of allowing it to sit on the leather for a while (30 mins or so) on a very hot sunny day, thinking it would soak in and give better results, but when it came to buffing it off, it took the white coating off the Lotus-White seats. Then, I had to order the scuffmaster to reapply the colour to the affected areas, but it was not a very good match.

I think its a good product, but take care. The seat colouring is a water-based acrylic "paint" and the oils in the conditioners can soften and disolve the thin acrylic colour layer if left on the leather for too long.

In fact because of the impervious colour layer on the leather it is difficult for any condiioning oils to actually penetrate into the leather beneath and do any good.

• Thanks Arnie, I read the thread when it happened, but noticed you did recommend it later when TallTony was also looking to restore his seats, I shall give it a go this weekend, weather permitting, I have not ordered the scuffmaster - but will just give the leather a good clean. :top:

• Just some feedback on the Gliptone Leather Products:
    The cleaner I think is not very good, although thankfully it did not do any damage. However the conditioner I thought worked quite well, restoring some of the sheen and natural oils and an authentic leather smell.
    Both were applied once only.
    However my original scuff marks are still there and I will now be trying Dynamix Dyes.
    According to my 8's build sheet the interior is:

Individual data

Remaining interior trim: M5SH
    Processing individual
    Sign "individual"
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Keder an Fahrer- und Beifahrersitz in Nappa ultramarin
    (Nr. 8 124 351)
    Restliche Innenausstattung wie bei Leder Nappa silbergrau hell,

Schl.Nr. M5SH

Colour ORIENTBLAU METALLIC (317)

Upholstery SONDERPOLSTERUNG/OHNE FARBANGABE (Z1XX)

However I am a bit confused with regards to whether the colour is Silbergrau hell (light silver - grey) or whatever solderpolsterung means. So all help appreciated.

• Just some feedback on Dynamix Dyes:
    I ordered the colour required and applied some to the side panel of the base on my drivers seat, unfortunately it was much lighter than the colour of my seats (perhaps they are darker due to the build up of dirt). Needless to say the results looked awful :banghead:, so in the end I had to remove the applied dye with methylated spirit.
    However the cracks and scuff marks have taken up the lighter dye and look lighter than the seats, it has given the panel a 'marble look', which does not look much worse than what the cracked leather looked like originally, but in the end it did not work for me.
    Perhaps the only solution is to have the seats re-upholstered? :hmmmm:

• Zitat von Deep;81006

Just some feedback on Dynamix Dyes:
    I ordered the colour required and applied some to the side panel of the base on my drivers seat, unfortunately it was much lighter than the colour of my seats (perhaps they are darker due to the build up of dirt). Needless to say the results looked awful :banghead:, so in the end I had to remove the applied dye with methylated spirit.
    However the cracks and scuff marks have taken up the lighter dye and look lighter than the seats, it has given the panel a 'marble look', which does not look much worse than what the cracked leather looked like originally, but in the end it did not work for me.
    Perhaps the only solution is to have the seats re-upholstered? :hmmmm:

Aren't you supposed to strip back the finish with a chemical and re-colour from a clean base?

Or does that kit just go straight on?

• Getting a perfect match first time is very difficult.
    I used the Glioptone to hide one or two cracks, but only after I had used the supplied tint bottles to adjust the colour to exactly match my seats.
    Basically it is trial and error.
    Try a small bit where it won't show first and make sure to let it dry as it changes colour.
    This way you can get a perfect match!

• Hi Jin,

I cleaned the seat prior to applying the dye with methylated spirit (as instructed), I suspect my seats are very old so the colour is a lot darker now than the original silver grey light, hence the awful results.

I suspect if you persevere you could do the whole seats in a new colour but that would be time consuming and also at £20 for 60mls of dye - very expensive.

Hi UKZero - those seats look amazing, and having seen the results other have obtained that is why I was hoping to restore mine, but I suspect it may have to be through a professional.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!