Spit and Polish

• Thanks for the feedback guys, I have thooroughly enjoyed looking at it parked up in th drive since the wash. Still lots of things to sort out. Also would like to add I used Rob at Excess Dents in Aylesbury, Bucks to remove a few dings in the front driver wing and he did a very good job, this was after being let down by my local Dent Devils guy.

• Looking good, it's amazing what a proper clean can do.

I really should clay mine when I'm not feeling too lazy. The 8 is such a big car though, I'd probably spend days on it :banghead: I think it really needs a machine polish, 13 years of swirls need removing :( Even the glass could do with polishing and I don't like half the detailing forums suggestions of "accidental" stone chips and a cheap replacement. I'd like to keep the original glass that's in there. Anyone got any tips for polishing this supposed rock hard BMW paint?

Mine's still good enough for a guy to ask me if I'd just finished restoring it at the weekend :laugh:

• I wouldn't machine polish, as it's too easy to remove a lot of paint. I have found that McGuires Swirl-Remover is very good and very quick to use for doing just that.

There are glass polishing kits with compounds and pads for attaching to a drill to removes scratches from glass, but pitting can be too deep to remove. (try http://www.frost.co.uk/)

• I can tell you from experience that you MUCH better off paying a pro to do the polishing for you.

I did this to mine in the spring - and I'm not joking it took 30 hours over 3 days to get the finish up to my required standard - A (good obviously) Pro with a good rotary would have it done in half the time AND achieve a superior finish.

I got good results from polishing the windscreen but it didn't remove the deeper chips - clarity was much better though

They also tend to measure the paint thickness and attempt to use the least aggressive compound.

Without doubt one of the best detailers I've seen is this guy, check out this M5:

http://www.kdskeltec.co.uk/bmw_m5_1.phtml

• Hi Herminator,
    To be honest it did not take that long, although I did rush through a few bits, the clay bar process was fairly straight forward, it took 90 minutes. I used Meguiars clay bar kit from Halfords which contained 2 bars, detailer spray and wax.
    I also would like to get my car polished but I will need to sort out the nose cone and rust on the sunroof first.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!