Cleaning engine compartment and service

• Have startet the winter project.

Goal real clean up of engine and getting rid of all yellow wax.

Polishing of bolts and pipes , replacing distributor cap's and spark plug leads and anything else showing up.

Distributor cap's are still the original ones ( hard wax all over the cap )
    Guess it's time to change these.
    Can't understand she has been running fine with this one?????

More pictures to come when work progress :cool:

Regards
    Terje

• Hej!
    Ja har man inte något att göra så kan man ju alltid gå ut i garaget och lägga ett par timmar:laugh:, skall bli trevligt att se på ditt motor rum när du är klar för jag kan ju tänka mig att den kommer att glänsa som resten av din bil:cool:
    Som Fabrice sa till mig "The queen should be clean":grin2:

• A few pic's of the ongoing project :winkwink:

Engine cleaned and missing a few parts :laugh: next here will be the manifoilds to get rid of the rest of old wax and repaint at least the black part.
    Oil service and sparkplugs are on the plan as well.

Will get as good as new :harhar:

DK's Serviced , lubricated , polished.

Heat shields polished and new bolts without rust installed

Polished pipe and replaced bolts.

• I must be showing my age - I spend my time putting anti-rust wax into my car's hidden corners rather than cleaning it out.

Guess I still remember when new cars (not that I've ever owned one) came out of the factory already going rusty :)

• Zitat von ukzero;83866

I must be showing my age - I spend my time putting anti-rust wax into my car's hidden corners rather than cleaning it out.

Guess I still remember when new cars (not that I've ever owned one) came out of the factory already going rusty :)

Well the 850 is spending the winter inside a heated garage and is not taken outside if it's raining in the summer :harhar: ( it's black and take forever to get clean again ha ha )
    So do not think rust will be an issue on this one

For my 525tds it's another story :oops: poor car spend's most of it's time
    outside and on salty winter roads. but are in surprisingly good shape still even if it's 13 years now.

Regards
    Terje

• Update on the work , must admit that it has been going slowly lately :harhar:
    But have only two Xmas present's left.

Looking at old workshop receipts i was clear that all plugs was replaced at 100k km so decided to take out the two most difficult one and compare with an easy one , just to see if thay all where replaced ;)

And yes all same type and same condition, sparkplugs only have 8k km on them and was looking fine so will not change. as this must be a good plug with the correct color.

Also cleaned inntakes for wax ( hard job ) and repaintet the black with them still mounted in the car, grinded and polished the stripes and BMW after painting.

Looking good ???? :cool:

Slowly getting there

• Zitat von Nifty50;84192

Looking really good:top:

In addition to 'elbow grease' what types of cleaning products are you using?

For removing the wax I did not find anything other then Dremmel and steel brush, and a scrubb.
    WD40 is good for oil and debries to get it loose.
    Autosol has been used frequent :laugh:
    For plastic just take them in and use dishwashing soap , and use tireshine after to get it black.

In the end it's rubbing and rubbing :banghead:

Regards
    Terje

• Zitat von Lloyd;84201

I must admit I love a clean engine bay. I like the detail on the inlet manifolds as this is something I was considering as my car is off the road did you spray the black or hand paint?

I did spray them, so all had to grind and polish the stiripes and BMW to get them back , just using sand papir staring with 80 and finishing with 800.
    Took a bit of time to mask it all but where easy enough to do while they still was mounted.
    Have taken them off once on Egil's car so know hove much work that is :harhar:

Actually did look great all black as well so did concider just keeping it black , but as it's not original then I had to do it correct :oops:

Regards
    Terje

• Cleaning of plastic parts ,
    Easy to do , let's try the discwasher witout my wife seeing it :harhar:

Of course I got busted :oops: but It looked good when it was finish.
    Just a tip , try and do it when your wife is out of the building, she was not pleased.

Pixture are before cleaning.

• Engine clean up finished :)

Replaced distributors and rotors , Oil and filters, DK serviced , replaced expansion tank, cleaning of all parts , polishing and so on.

Hmmm What next???? :hmmmm: Pentosin and filters???

Looking forward to the spring :driver:

Some pictures ( shoot with cell phone )

And a few pictures from before I started

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!