The best choice of oil

• My 850 CI has completed circa 183,000 miles. She is running a treat and I am going to perform her first service since I have owned her. (Inspection 1) I have read several posts on the best choice of oil and was considering fully synthetic Mobil 1. Has anyone any strong views on this please or has a better option. I have to drive short duration journeys and I use her every day.

I have added performance Wokke chips and straight through exhaust system (just rear boxes, no CAT's - beautiful!) and am fitting K&N long life perfomance air filters.

I have everything ready to go, just the oil to purchase.

Any help and guidance welcomed.

Thanks

Bob

• Uh oh, here we go.No offence intended but this is an emotive subject to many and may be described as:

Personally I would have nothing against fully sythetic but there are many that believe that since the engines used in 8's were designed before the advent of such oils they were not designed to be used with such and only bad things can happen as a consequence of using them. There are theories that switching from mineral based to fully synthetic can lead to problems with dislodged gunge that may have been quietly residing in some hidden nook or cranny of the engine and lead to major failure; others argue that this is nonsense.
    I would add that the topic has been discussed many times before (have a quick search and you'll see), to my mind, no definitive answer has been forthcoming.

• Wondering just as much myself on this question as I would like my 8 to get the best :)

But I have always given my car's fully synthetic for many years as well as always replacing the filter when doing the oil service.
    Never had an engine starting to leak or break down even if they were driven hard fully loaded with people and dragging a caravan.

I never gave it to much thought on the brand of oil as long as it's fully synthetic for my other cars.

But for my 8 it's Castrol being used as I have heard a few recomend this brand.

Regards
    Terje

• About the oil: I drive Mobil1 5W50. I can see a lot less sludge build up, since I use it. But, it is a can of worms, that topic.

Zitat von Bob Beebe;85168

...and am fitting K&N long life perfomance air filters.

why? there is a test-bed post floating around here, somewhere (or was it bimmerforums?) where they (I believe wuffer and conforti) tested some chips. Amoungst that testing procedure, they also tested the K&N air filters. Result? A LOSS in HP.

Plus, the do let dirty air in. Over a long period of time that will result in more wear of the cylinder walls (although that period might be well longer than the expected life of the engine).

My two cents are just that. Just one guy offering an opinion.

• This is exactly my understanding too. I was reluctant to be the first to say it for fear of the usual castigation.

• Thanks for the comments! As you say an old topic. I wish there was a spreadsheet somewhere with all users and their choice of oil. Looks like I'm going to bite the bullet and go for Mobil 1. The K&N filters arrived yestreday...

I may drop the sump off her and give a good clean and inspection during the service exercise. May need to think of a new gasket though....more thinking required.

Thanks

Bob

• Sump pan removal

I'm thinking of removing the sump tray to have a mooch inside and clear any old sludge deposits in the sump. Looks quite straight forward, will order a new gasket tomorrow (11131710195) I think. Any experience anyone on any issues doing this. I'll diagonally resecure the fixings on replacement.

Thanks

Bob
    850CI

• Will do. I guess I'm 2-3 weeks away before I get a couple of 850 days to catch up on everything and service her completely.

I had another first this week, the low beam failure alarm check has been on for 6 months with the front fog light failed alarm as well. All looked OK but I did think that the nearside low beam was a little dimmer than the off side, marginal though. The lamp finally failed on Monday. I changed it and on close examination of the filament, it was in good order but the internal connecting wires had been hot, subject to high temperature caused by high resistance. Bingo! This was it some I2(squared)R! the OBC must have calculated the current flowing and noted it was above tolerance and raised the check alarm. Now for the first time, I have no alarms at all. Guess the fog light circuit must be somehow interconnected. Great feeling...

Will keep you posted.

Bob
    850CI :top:

• I bought my oil today for my 850CI service and migration to Fully Synthetic oil. I finally opted for Castrol Edge 5W-40. I also got notification that sump gaskets are now in the island for collection tomorrow. So now i have everything...... will take some pictures.

I was looking around on the 8er forum today as there was interest in my engine internals and found this link if anyone is ineterested. I don't think I've seen a better photo session of the M70 engine strip down.....Enjoy;

http://bmwe32.masscom.net/sean…buildM70/M70rebuild_1.htm

Bob
    850CI

• Very nice pictures of the v12 engine :)
    And same oil as i did buy for my 850

• For me there is only one oil. Castrol 10W-60 Racing.

Even the lable tells you that this is the thing to use :)

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• I use Divinol.

Hi,
    I asked the same question on the Dutch 850 forum and they came up with a full synthetic light-race-oil made by Divinol (5W-50).
    It's not yet in the motor but soon I'm gonna replace whats in it now.

Did anybody hear of this brand Divinol ??

Greetz,
    Paul

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!