Time to move on!

• Hello guys,
    It's been a while since I've posted but have still been tuned in!

I've just posted an ad in the classifieds section - it's a bit of a heart wrencher to be honest, in seeking to sell my 8 however I think it's time (for various reasons). Not really sure how long it may take to sell my baby but hey, time will tell.

Any feedback on the ad or owt else for that matter, let me know.
    I just wanted to say that while I may still have the car in many months time (depending on the market of course!), I'd like to thank all involved for making my time on the site and with my 8, as enjoyable as it could have been.
    As above, I'll still be "active" on the site as long as I have it (and most likely beyond) but as above, the time to sell has arrived.

Cheers guys ;)

• Keenan, Sorry to see you go - it is such a shame that petrol prices and escalating repair bills are resulting in many, many E31's appearing on Ebay and Autotrader at rock-bottom prices. If I won the lottery, I'd be tempted to buy them all and preserve them for posterity!

You are right that this website is friendly and informative for any E31 owner or enthusiast. Like you, I may not be prolific contributor, but I do try and visit every day.

Any ideas what you are going to get to replace the "old girl"?

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• Many thanks Angus.
    I couldn't agree more in that if I had the money (via a lotto win!), I'd love a stock of lovely 8's. As said however, due to fuel prices, the crazy tax system (certainly here in Ireland), the new low tax bands since 2008, repair bills and everything else, the market for a nice 8 is rather limited. It's a real shame to be honest, as I'm sure everyone here would agree.

Yea, this website/forum is brill and due to it's friendliness (especially when you witness some of the cat fighting that goes on on other car sites!), it heightens the 8'er experience.

As for what car may be next - well, needless to say, there are so many out there that I'd love however would leave me in the same position as I'm in with the 8! i.e. high tax, big repair costs etc. I was initially thinking I'd like a Merc SL350 (anywhere between 2002-2004 model) - I think they're pretty slick but again, crazy tax. Depending on whether my wife decides to flog her coupe (peugeot 407 coupe), which I believe she will, I still may go for a coupe. If not, it's looking like a boring 4 door! Some sort of diesel, with low tax!!! Hee hee. The thoughts bore me to be honest but hey, what can done. Not really decided as yet - will concentrate on the sale of the 8 first and see how things pan out then.

I will of course let you all know what I eventually purchase as I'm sure ye'll be eager to hear about the new Kia or Ford that I've bought! Ah no, I shan't knock 'em however, for now, it's "mourning" time of sorts, knowing that my time with the 8 is coming to an end :bawling:

• I think it is always sad when someone leaves the club, I have mentioned selling mine half heartedly to my wife and get something more practical but she loves the car as much as I do and says I should keep it. This afternoon I spent half an hour trying to get a baby seat into the back so the 3 of us could go for a drive, in the end I ditched the seat and took it for a drive on my own, it has just come back from an insp 2 done by Gerry and was an absolute pleasure to drive, I fell in love with it again and am looking forward to driving it in the summer with a new stereo and some planned cosmetic improvements. For the price I cannot think of another car that can bring the same smile to my face. Good luck selling yours.

• Hi Deep - glad to hear that after it's service, your 8 is feeling brand new again. Always a joy.
    I hadn't even tempted the baby seat in mine however your report wouldn't encourage me to try it!!!
    As for getting something similar for the money - you're right, there isn't anything as beautiful to replace it with, with that kinda money so still unsure of what I may get. Time will tell I guess!
    Good luck with the future cosmetic tweeks!

• Unfortunate news Keenan, and I never did get to see it. Perhaps you can make the next Cars & Coffee meeting on Sunday morning, 6th Feb at Cherrywood Tech park?
    I have just left my CSi over to Gerry 8Tech for a service but it also needs a new clutch, and maybe a flywheel:banghead:
    Still, it is a great car, and has been utterly reliable in the near 5 years I have owned it. He is also going to fit camber plates, and safety wire the oil rail banjo bolts.
    Steve

• I understand that for some it's time to move on and I wish you luck.
    Hope you don't regret it to much in the future.

In my case the car owes me nothing, my annual cost of keeping her is the road tax and insurance, which is less than £1000, plus fuel.
    This is so little that I see no reson for ever selling her.
    As long as I have a place to keep her she will stay with me.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Thanks guys
    Hi Steve - over to Gerry's again - good stuff; at least you know it's in the best hands.
    6th Feb - sh*g it, I'm away that weekend I'm afraid! However, if it takes a bit longer to sell than I hope, I may see you at one after that! I would like a peek at that csi I must admit.

On a side note, of sorts - I was out today and decided to pop into a BMW dealers here in Dublin (joe duffy bmw in Finglas, Steve). Anyway, I'd really gone in to see if someone could give me an idea of what I might get as a trade it - it was more of out curiosity than anything really. I was initially pleased as some hot chick greeted me when I went it so I thought "hey, I'm onto a winner already"! I then waited for the sales guy - who turned out to be an even hotter blonde chick! Good times. Anyway, she did look rather confused when I told her what type of BMW I had! Hee hee. I gave her the details, she went out to look and said she wasn't sure; said she'd ring me back.

She rang me back about a half hour later and said "you probably won't be happy". She then proceeded to say 2 and a half!!! Now, I knew it'd be low but not EUR2,500 low! Ah well - I was consoled, briefly, by my meeting with the two hot ladies. I'll keep on the private sale trail for now.
    Just trying to sign up to pistonheads at present so as to put up an ad - however, some technical difficulties are being experienced on the site, I'm being told! All in good time.
    Cheers guys

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!