• Hi
    Whilst reparing my 840 I noticed a crack in the windscreen. I contacted a repair/ replacement company and thay said that new ones are only available from BMW themselves. Has anyone had a similar experience or know the price for a replacement should the car fail the MOT with this problem.
    thanks
    Gary

• Hi Gary,

RAC windscreens replaced mine about 6 years ago. It was they who told me it was a multi ply windscreen and my recollection is that they had to source it from BMW. The screen is part of the structural stability of the car so any old one will not do. I guess you are doing this through your insurers? If this is the case they should arrange to get it on your behalf. Have a ring around and maybe give BMW a call just to check the facts.

Good luck, it will almost certainly fail the MOT.

• Bought one recently from BMW (£360). Like all windscreens, it's laminated with a plastic layer between two sheets or toughened glass. RAC Windscreen once told me that it's good to insist on original glass, as generally many of the aftermarket ones don't fit as well. Probably no after market ones left for the 8 now anyway.

Make sure you get the rubber surround as well and print off the repair guide from the techical manual (Wuffer's site), which gives a guide to the amount of PU mastic to use and where. This is VERY important, as the replacement windscreen on my 840 (by the previous owner), was done very badly with too much mastic in some places, completely blocking the drainage space beneath the rubber surround and not enough mastic in other places, leaving gaping holes.

When I found out, it was too late and the trapped water had caused a lot of rust and a hole in the roof edge. The windscreen needs to come out and a new one needs to be fitted after the repairs. (That's why I know it's £360)

If it's through your insurance, you can insist on original glass and also the rubber suuround, which itself is about £140... and even if it's not through insurance, it's really your only option, which is what I'm having to do.

Incidentally, the rubber surround (not really a seal) is usually fitted around the glass with a non hardening mastic.... which then dries out, eventually letting water in between the glass laminations; then in the case of the rear screen, ruining the heater and antenna elements.

If you Google the MOT test, the winscreen needs to be free of marks in the area swept by the wipers and some 300mm either side of the steering wheel.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!