Various problems, electric...

• So, I've been the owner of this car now for almost six months. And for almost six months ago I started to ask myself what the h*ll am I doing... :dontknow:

I have been the proud owner of BMW 735, 740, 750 E32 and 750 E38 and a BMW 540 IAT E39. One Alpina B12 and one Highline so the cars or the problems are not new to me.

Pelle+ here at the forum has helped me a great deal so thank you Per!

What was the beginning like? Well when I bought the car I confirmed that there was some problems.

* No breaking assist (got the new part)
    * No heat (changed the pump and the valves, fixed)
    * No stereo (got one original, but it made my batteries go empty)
    * Bad batteries (changed to new ones)
    * Drivers side window out of 6mm function
    * Leaky sunroof
    * Oh, I can go on but you get the picture... :help:

Because this is my daily driver I really need to get some things in order. Let's start with the drivers side door. Per told me to start with removing what wasn't original so out came the Cargard alarm.

No difference...

We went over half of Sweden to buy used parts. I bought some boxes (and burgers) and even resoldered my GM box with new capacitators.

No difference...

We measured every microswitch in the door and every cable from the door in to the coupé, everything was fine. When we open the door the light comes on and the steeringwheel goes up. I changed the doormodule.

No difference...

I drank a lot of Gin Tonic.

No difference... :banghead:

So I changed the RM box, bought a new ctek AND prayed to God.

No difference, other than the clutch gave up...

So before I kill myself what should we do!? I have even changed the controlbuttons in the drivers door.

Ops sorry, I wrote it in "meetings" moderator please move it to correct place...

Iwarsson Sweden
    E31 M70 6-speed
    Black on black -91

• And I should probably mention that the power window do work. But it does not go down all the way with one press, but the up function works with one brief press. And the door doesn't lock or unlock with key in drivers door... Note, all the microswitches do work! :hmmmm:

Iwarsson Sweden
    E31 M70 6-speed
    Black on black -91

• think there is a separate module that handles the sentral locking, and windows.

I just had my e46 M3 fixed due to a window that did not work on the 6mm function, and not fully closing on "one touch", or lift the window when closing the door.
    After replacing window motor, window mechanism and reprogramming the "gm" module they replaced this module and everyting was fine.... cost me a fortune though.

If you manage to locate this unit I might have one in my garage from an older 850. (pre-93).
    If you find which one you need (pnr) I can check if I have it and send it to you for testing, or Pelle can bring it after the meeting here in Norway in June.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Hi Egil.

I spoke to Per a minute ago, you might be on to something... My wipers sometimes just move an inch when I want them to do just one wipe, the headlight washers are out of function, the sunroof moves totally unsmooth and all of this are taken care of by the ZKE module.

But... I have already tried another one, wrong P.nr. but anyway the problems remained. :bawling: Also when on the other one no indicators were working and the mid told me that there was a transfail prog.

Maybe it predicted the bad clutch... :laugh:

I will try to take the time needed this weekend to get you the partnumber!

But don't be shy now people, guesses and ideas are welcome!

Iwarsson Sweden
    E31 M70 6-speed
    Black on black -91

• Think it has to be re-coded to your car.
    many of the modules in the E31 interact and they use a code to do so, not sure if this is the VIN no. or one of the codes you find on a sticker in the DME housing cover.

Not sure you can just do a direct swap with certain modules as they are coded for a different car, the new ones from BMW all need to be coded to your car.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• When you replace a module like the A1 general module (GM), the replacement must indeed be (re)coded to the car. But the GM doesn't offer much coding functionality, so even with the basic coding of a brand new GM or the coding of another car most items in the car should work just fine. Below is an overview of the GM coding functions that can be different from yours depending on the options or region of the car you got the replacement GM from:

The GM definitely has no effect on the transmission or indicators. In fact, apart from the wipers the GM controls no safety/critical systems in the car. You can even drive the car without the GM installed (although many items won't work of course).

Anyway, back to your problem... You say the one-touch opening of the power windows doesn't work. First make sure the windows are properly initialized. Then check if the problem occurs on both sides or only one (test the passenger window with both the driver side switches as the passenger side switch). Does the issue only occurs with the front power windows? Does the one-touch opening of the rear power windows work normally (there is no one-touch closing for the rear windows)?

You also mentioned the window drop upon pulling the door handle no longer works. Is this the case for both doors?

The fact that many items controlled by the A1 general module and A5 relay module act funny, points towards these modules. But when you write "the sunroof moves totally unsmooth" I can't imagine the GM or RM are responsible for this. Are you sure the mechanism isn't worn?

Do you at any chance have access to a BMW diagnostic system (DIS or INPA)?

• Nope, and my regular technician is at home sick.

Today I drove 60km and a old problem reoccured. Windows, both in front and in back went down by themselves, the car did also lock and unlock itself over and over again... :hmmmm:

This have happend before, then I changed the RM1 (relaymodule) and the problem stopped. But after let's say two weeks it drained my batterys so i tried another GM, but there were no difference so I changed back to the resoldered one. And this problem started again the day after!?

When this problem started the first time i could hear the relays within the RM turn on and off franticly, but not today. The car have also locked and unlocked and opened the windows by itself when the car is parked...

Iwarsson Sweden
    E31 M70 6-speed
    Black on black -91

• The central locking and the window operation are also controlled by Relay Module 1, which lives in the left-hand, door sill, under the carpet. (Note the car has two relay modules- not sure which one you relpalced already.)

This Relay Module 1 contains the relays which drive the central locking and window and sunroof motors. There are also some logic circuits in there to operate the right relays. I would guess this is your problem. As I found out BMW still manufacture these at around euro-200, but if you can, try to borrow one first to test and check that your carpet is dry under there.

Sorry, I hadn't spotted that you'd already experimented with changing the RM-1, relay module. However, did you fit a new one or a used one? If used, maybe both have problems. Also, are you sure that the old alarm wiring and related control modules are completely removed? For the doors to unlock and all the windows to open, it would seem that the problem could be related to the comfort opening feature of the central locking.

• Zitat von revtor;87923

Anyway, back to your problem... You say the one-touch opening of the power windows doesn't work. First make sure the windows are properly initialized. Then check if the problem occurs on both sides or only one (test the passenger window with both the driver side switches as the passenger side switch). Does the issue only occurs with the front power windows? Does the one-touch opening of the rear power windows work normally (there is no one-touch closing for the rear windows)?

You also mentioned the window drop upon pulling the door handle no longer works. Is this the case for both doors?

So I took it for a spin today. And like magic all problems from yesterday are gone!? No unlock/lock or windows automatically going down by themselves.

And I have done nothing to accomplish this??? :hmmmm:

Anyway back to your questions Revtor:

* Window drop works on passenger door only
    * All windows (front and back) behave like in the manual except drivers door
    * All functions except lock/unlock with key, one touch up and window drop works as they should on drivers door.

It seems like we have tested everything, what's left to do?

Ps. It's dry under the carpet and it was the RM1 I changed.

Iwarsson Sweden
    E31 M70 6-speed
    Black on black -91

• Zitat von Iwarsson;87928

Today I drove 60km and a old problem reoccured. Windows, both in front and in back went down by themselves, the car did also lock and unlock itself over and over again... :hmmmm:

When you write both, do you mean both sides (thus all 4 windows) or just both front and rear. And if it was a single side, it was the driver's side I presume?

Zitat

* Window drop works on passenger door only
    * All windows (front and back) behave like in the manual except drivers door
    * All functions except lock/unlock with key, one touch up and window drop works as they should on drivers door.

Apart from the GM and RM, this functionality is also controlled by the A23 driver's door module (TMFT). A faulty door module could explain the fact that the window drop, one-touch close and central locking do not work on one side. However, in your first post you suggested you already replaced it (correct?).

• First of all, thank you all for trying to help me!

When this problem occurs it can be every which one of the four windows... Both left and right side, front or back. Sometimes only one window and sometimes two windows at the same time. (but not all four)

And you are right about the doormodule, it's already changed.

Iwarsson Sweden
    E31 M70 6-speed
    Black on black -91

• Since the weird behavior occurs on both sides, I would rule out the door module. Besides, the door modules have nothing to do with the wipers and headlight washers - which act funny as well. The A5 relay module (RM) does not contain logic. Unless water is causing random short circuits, it either works or it doesn't. That leaves only the A1 general module (GM) in my opinion...

You mentioned the GM you got as replacement did have a different part number from yours. What are the part numbers of your (original) GM and the replacement?

I didn't notice at first, but like arnie spotted, you have removed an after market alarm system from the car (Cargard). Are you sure you removed everything? And if the after market system messed with the original wiring harness, did you restore the wiring according to the electrical troubleshooting manual (ETM) diagrams?

• Here we go again. :winkwink:

Well, I'm not sure however the cables are 100% correct now, but it's done by a BMW technician in his (let's say) leisure time... From what I can see it's done properly and proffessional.

The original GM that I have resoldered like in this link: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17681874 is the one to the left. And the test GM is the one to the right.

• Iwarsson: Both general modules (GM) have the same part number (61 35 1 383 410). I think you are confused by the manufacturing date printed on the modules: "489308" stands for 1993 week 48 and "039106" for 1991 week 3. If the GM with "489308" on is your original GM, it has already been replaced in the past (since your car is a 1991). Both GMs have the same hardware, but the software revision may differ one version (probably version 39 for the '91 and 40 for the '93 GM). Anyway, that shouldn't matter. Both should work correctly in your car. If not already done, replace the electrolytic capacitors in the replacement module as well. It's almost 3 years older than the one you repaired and thus even more in need of fresh capacitors. Once repaired, try again with the replacement module in your car and see what happens.

• Zitat von Noggie;87905

If you manage to locate this unit I might have one in my garage from an older 850. (pre-93).
    If you find which one you need (pnr) I can check if I have it and send it to you for testing, or Pelle can bring it after the meeting here in Norway in June.

Do we have the same numbers on our GMs Noggie?

revtor: I have changed so many boxes now so I'm dizzy with all the numbers... Thank you for clarifying.

Iwarsson Sweden
    E31 M70 6-speed
    Black on black -91

• Update.

So here we go again.

Now in the Easter I was out cruising and needed to roll down the window, no reaction... :dontknow:

Now the only functioning window is in the passenger door with that button. All the buttons in driverdoor are out of order including the one to lock the doors, however the mirrors do work.

I haven't done anything else than drive the car? The weather is wonderful and no rain and the batteries are good... What is happening!?

I checked the fuses and they were all good.

(Pelle+, are you up for a GM switch this week?)

Iwarsson Sweden
    E31 M70 6-speed
    Black on black -91

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!