attempted robbery

• Last week a nov'92 850CSi owned by a friend of mine, member of the spanish E31 club, had a robbery attempt.

The thiefs started breaking a rear indicator, trying to short-cut the cables to side step the alarm (which was, luckily, active), then completely destroyed the door lock, got into the car and messed with some plastic parts looking for start the car. Then they opened the hood, messed with the fuse box (guess that they were looking for the aftermarket alarm fuse) and then ripped off the filter cover under the windscreen, trying to reach the alarm horn, to no avail.

Fortunately the original alarm system resisted all those attacks, and she didn't start. So the car is still there, and the robbery was avoided.

Problem is, now we can't start the car, the alarm system blocking every try we do!

Each time we put the key on the door lock, the alarm starts again, the same when door, hood or trunk are opened. Door lock has been changed, following BMW indications, but nothing changes.

Some strange symptoms: door lock pins don't work, car isn't able to open and lock, also the windows don't work correctly.

Somebody can point us on what to do to stop the alarm/start the car?

Thanks in advance for your help

• As far as I know, the factory alarm is just that. It does not immobilise the car. The imobilisation is done through a transponder with the ignition key and, if set, the code on the OBD.

I suspect that the refusal to start may have more to do with the thief's tampering with the wiring and fuse-box.

• agree with arnie.

They probably short circuted something that may have caused something to fail.
    or that you still have something they did that you did not find.

Is the insurance paying for this troubleshooting??

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• First of all I'm glad the car is still sitting where it was :)

I have couple of issues with my 94 840 about alarm system. It immobilises the car sometimes without any reason and couldn't find any solution as well. And only reason that I could find so far is loss of electric which triggers the alarm and can not be disarmed. One thing I could recommend is disconnecting the alarm module. Car probably starts without any problem and need to be resetted by DIS. Reconnecting without reset starts the alarm again.

• Thanks for your answers, Gentlemen.

arnie: Good point. We have related the non-start issue to the alarm because it's always sounding. Will take a look at fuses and specially the "hidden" fuse on the trunk.
    Nevertheless, I was pretty sure the alarm can inmobilise the car under some conditions... Don't sure an Euro'92 csi has a trasponder key?

@Noggie:Unfortunately, robbery damages weren't included on insurance that time. That has been changed now... but too late for this issue.

dennis320: Good point! Now, the problem is ¿where is the alarm module?

Edit: OK: I think I've found it. It's the N1 module?

• Zitat von acca68;88063

Thanks for your answers, Gentlemen.

arnie: Good point. We have related the non-start issue to the alarm because it's always sounding. Will take a look at fuses and specially the "hidden" fuse on the trunk.
    Nevertheless, I was pretty sure the alarm can inmobilise the car under some conditions... Don't sure an Euro'92 csi has a trasponder key?

[INDENT]Actually, EWS (key coded immobiliser) is only in MY 1995 onwards. This download might help:
    http://wuffer.net/MyFiles/ETM93.pdf. (see sect 6575.1)

In your model-year, the DWA interfaces with the General Module, which provides a starter interlock function, and has a link to the engine managment.
    [INDENT]"...On vehicles without EWS (electronic immobilizer), the immobilization and starter interlock functions are

carried out by the general module when the vehicle is arrested.
    The immobilization function is provided by a line from the general module to the DME control unit. The DME is
    partly deactivated when the vehicle is arrested.
    A second line leads from the general module to a starter interlock relay. This relay switches terminal 50 from
    the ignition lock to the starter. The engine can only be started when the vehicle is released and disarmed and

terminal 15 is switched on..."

[/INDENT]See attached diagram.

The document in this link gives a description of the DWA-III system, as fitted to your car. It also describes a disarming poroceedure. (It may also be written in the car's handbook.)

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E38/E38_Alarm_System_DWA.pdf

Emergency disarming

[INDENT]"....It may be possible that the antitheft alarm system (DWA) can no longer be disarmed in the event of the

[/INDENT][INDENT]remote control or central locking systems failing. In this case, the DWA must be disarmed, however, this

procedure triggers an alarm.
    Procedure:

[/INDENT][INDENT]Unlock driver's door mechanically and open, an alarm is triggered, the status LED flashes.

Close all doors, the boot lid/tailgate and the bonnet. Also close the windows on vehicles with window

monitoring.

Switch ignition lock from position 0 to position 1 (terminal R ON), the status LED lights.

The system is disarmed after a waiting time of 10 minutes has elapsed, the status LED goes out.

The emergency disarming procedure is terminated if a door is opened or the ignition lock position changed

during this waiting period.

Emergency disarming is restarted when, after closing the door, the ignition lock is switched from ”0” to ”1”....."

[/INDENT][/INDENT]The ETM has the locations of all the modules

• Zitat von acca68;88063

@where is the alarm module?

Edit: OK: I think I've found it. It's the N1 module?

I don't know the N1 but it's on the right side under the door line (sorry for my English :( I couldn't find the correct word ! )

• Yes, looking at the diagrams in the 93'ETK was whereI found the N1 module, fitted where Dennis says. And will give a try to that procedure to disarm the alarm that you showed me, Arnie.

Thanks again for the help!

• Me adelanto a Acca68, parece que gracias a vuestra ayuda el problema esta solucionada, muchas gracias desde españa.:top:

Acca68 I anticipate, it seems that with your help the problem is solved, thank you very much from Spain.:top:

Presidente del Club BMW Serie 8-Spain (e31.es)
    Chus.

• Good news! We tried the emergency disarming procedure and worked very well. Ten minutes and the alarm was off, the engine started and the car is now on the repair shop to adress all the (hopefully) small damages.

So, once more thank you for your help, it has been very useful and I imagine that otherwise we would still be trying to disarm the alarm.

Ah! And now we know for sure: an original alarm in a 92 euro CSI can inmobilise the car :laugh:

Alex

• I tried the emergency disarming the alarm today and it worked..Probably previously I didn't waited long enough as alarm led goes out after 5 minutes!! 10 minutes is exact.

By the way is there any trick abouy key initialization?? I follow the procedure but sometimes I do it at first try but sometimes I can't ever menage it. Any suggestion?

• Actually that is my shame I' ve just put the question after the post. After using search function :poke: and follow every suggestion and documents next two days, answer was already there :oops: .

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!