Euro road trip with pics (cross post)

• OK, so y'all urbane Europeans may think this a little ho-hum, but I had a blast and wanted to share (so I posted on this board as well as the US one)
    Got the chance to spend a couple of weeks in Europe with the CSi.

Car was wearing a brand new paint job in correct Oxford Green metallic, courtesy of John at JC Autobody, and was all MOT'ed, serviced and prepped for the journey courtesy of Gerry at Phoenix.
    Early Sunday morning run down to Folkestone, no traffic, no drama and straight onto the EuroTunnel. Only just made it due the available width inside the carriages, luckily I didn't fit my set of 18" MK's that I was thinking I'd put on for the journey.
    First autoroute stop showed that it wasnt just me who'd decided to have a quick Sunday morning run in sunny France. McLaren (although I think its a copy), Porsche, Aston, Lambo had all decided to show up. Thought i'd get a picture, to see "does my bum look big in this" -- Ferraristi on this board will identify the other rear end, but I think its a 430. Keen eyed viewers will see a van full of spanners at the back of the shot -- two beautifully original Countachs had made the trip, but one was being pulled to bits (half shaft out), as it had obviously failed to proceed. I dont know whether the guy wielding the spanners was the French equivalent of the AA, or the Countach guys bring their own mechanic ?

Stuck with the autoroutes down past Paris to Orleans. Must admit, had to concentrate quite a bit on the first days drive, haven't actually driven this beast for ages (more on that later), and I'm in right hand drive car, in a left hand drive country !. Paying the tolls is fun though, and also confuses the toll booth staff when this long arm appears from across the front of the vacant drivers seat, clutching a fistful of Euros. If you think its easy, try doing something useful from the passengers side of the car (although none of you guys & gals would be passengers in your own 8). Now I know that most modern vehicles are a bit smaller than an 8, so they tend to "hang over" car parking bays a bit

Hit my straps on the next day, and ran down to Montpellier. Great satnav directions as I set off - "in 351 miles, turn left" - brilliant. Climbed over the Central Massif, about 1400 metres elevation - car feels slightly sluggish, and I dont know whether its the elevation, or the 10% corn that Shell put in their 95RON fuel ?. Copped my first ticket, as satnav squealed for a fixed camera (detectors are highly illegal), and I was in the fast lane so couldn't do much about it. My day finished just south of the Millau Viaduct, which I'd always wanted to see, and while I dont espouse using a camera when driving, it is an utterly stunning piece of engineering/architecture.

Hung around the south of France for a while, then did the run across to Rome, along as much of the coast as I could. The French autoroutes had been utterly stunning in terms of surface, signage, and that very European thing - lane discipline. As you pass Cannes and Monaco, the Ferraris start to kick in, plus the odd McLaren Mercedes -- none of these boys are doing anything less than 200 km/hr!. The more sedate car of choice seems to be the Audi S6 estate around this part of the journey, although none of these can be classed as tardy, especially the V10 versions with about 430 hp.

Wandered through the central part of Italy, and started to get a handle on Italian parking -- it seems the parking bays are smaller than the French versions. Yes, I'm the guy who parks a long way from everyone else (but so are some of you, I know it). I'm proud of the very dark shot (Florence), where I managed to reverse park into a street bay, with only about one foot of space at each end.

Really enjoyed the Italian lakes, up and down some very very skinny roads, great weather, gorgeous scenery. You know its a narrow road when you can put your hand out of the window and touch the rock face which the road is carved into (remember my driving seat is on the wrong side). Came west over the Alps, and Mont Blanc looked beautiful on a sunny day, then through the big tunnel and back into France. Ferrari must have been moving their new stock, as coming into Italy saw a convoy of 12 brand new cars, I think 612's and 430's -- even though the tunnel is speed limited, they made a fabulous noise.

Things get a bit blurry from here, as wine consumption increased over the next couple of days, but found my way back to Paris, and then sadly, back to London, where car went into storage until the next time.

Overall
    Map shows about 3,000 miles, but with a few excursions the total was closer to 4,000
    Saw 12.9 litres/100kms just once (approx 22 mpg), with fuel at about Euro 1.60 per litre, you can do the math
    Cannot imagine doing this in an autobox, just love the sound and grunt of second gear as you accelerate up twisty mountain bits
    I understand some of the obsession with getting better brakes for these cars -- even the CSi feels under-braked in the mountains
    I also understand that headlight technology has moved on -- the lighting is woeful
    Magnaflow music (with custom crossover) in the countless tunnels
    Someone work out how to stick an iPad2 into the central console - I used mine as satnav, music etc. I wished for duct tape.
    French autoroutes, speed limit 130km/hr -- this is ~3000 rpm in 6th. Drop into 5th, and stab throttle - you are almost on the torque peak, and then highly illegal stuff happens very very quickly

Didn't see another 8 for the entire trip, but wherever the car stopped there were plenty of people who wanted to know what it was
    "Dodici - mamma mia" was common
    Again, massive thanks to Gerry

• Hey, Great post! I did a slightly shorter version of the same trip this Summer. Unfortunately, my 8 was not ready in time and had to go in a Vauxhall Meriva. Not quite the same experience !

• Glad the trip went without a hitch apart from 1 speeding ticket. I was quite nervous prepping a car that had not been run for well over a year and stripped and rebuilt giving me just a few days before the trip.

It would appear I didn't miss anything then! :top:

So, is it a Spanish run next year?

Cheers,

8Tech.

• Having proved yourself more than up to the task so far Gerry, next year will be London - Bucharest, returning via the Transfagarasan Highway and a bunch of other roads that I haven't planned as yet (think Top Gear, but without the helicopter camera-man).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!