ABS and ASC ligts comes and goes

• Every morning when i start the car the ABS and ASC lights is on. I dont need to drive for more than a minute, stopp the engine, and start up again, the light are gone. Sometimes they come on while driving, but that is very rare. I have measured the ABS sensors , they are fine. The valves in the ABS pump was stukk , so i change the ABS pump. What more can i check?

it's not how many miles on a tank,
    but how many smiles;-)

Svein

1993 840ci/6 Supercharger

• You might wish to check that the ABS controller in the left-hand door sill is dry. (I had a badly replaced windscreen that was letting water in and which flooded the controller. It started with intermittent faults, but by the time I found the cause, I had to buy a new controller.)

Also, in some cases, the internal (electrolytic) capacitors - there are three - can leak due to age and cause problems. They can be replaced if caught early enough before the printed-circuit board tracks become erroded.

One other thing could be battery voltage. If it drops below 8.5v, the controller will show a fault. Check the batteries, of course, but also check the connectors and ground wiring to the controller. A light spray of contact cleaner may help on the contacts of the large, 86-way connector on the controller.

• I had my windscreen replaced a few years ago, so i need to check this controller. Where do i exactly locate it ?

but how many smiles;-)

Svein

• Did find the ABS controller, it dident looked to be damage of any water, it was nice and dry around it . I open it up and checked the capacitors , they looked fine. Put it back together, sprayed som connection spray on it , but the lights came back after a 20-30 minute drive.. The batteries in my car is almost new, maybe a half year old.

but how many smiles;-)

Svein

• I've had a similar issue once on my first E24///M635CSi. Above 120km/h a small bump regularly set off the ABS light. It turned out to be a dirty ABS ring on one hub. So a purely mechanical issue actually. You may want to check if those are all ok. Dirt of heavy corrosion can cause the system to malfunction.

• Yes, if you haven't already done so, remove the wheel sensors and give them a clean. You'll most certainly find that they will have collected a lot of iron particles and this may hamper their performance. This would cause an ABS and ASC error whilst driving.

The sensors have stainless-steel bodies but the retaining screws and the mounting hole may be somewhat rusty, so a penetrating lubricant spray and some patience may be required to ease them out.

Check also the castellated sensor ring to see if it's clean, but it is hidden beneath the brake shield plates and these cannot be removed without first taking off the wheel bearing assembly. However, there are some slots where you can see through. A powerful torch light is a good idea.

• I have clean the sensors, that dident make any differens, so i need to go inn a little deeper and check/clean the sensor ring.

but how many smiles;-)

Svein

• When exactly do the light scome on. When you turn the ignition key? ...or after you start the engine?... or after driving?

Some diagnostics would really help here.

It is possible that the ABS pump has a problem. This could be either with a valve or the motor unit.... but you say you've already changed that?

• When i turn on the ignition, both ligts are on (always). Sometimes they both light when i have started the engine, and sometimes only the ASC after engine start up , backing out of my driveway, drive a few meters and the ABS light come on. When the engine is warm, and i stop it, then start up again, the lights are gone... Yes the ABS pump is changed. I open it and checked the valves , and the motor , before i change it. Also the ABS and the ASC is working fine when the lights are of.

but how many smiles;-)

Svein

• For a while ago, when i had the automatic gearbox issue i had a readout of the ABS. And it indicated the speed sensor front right, and the speed sensor rear right. I have measured all four sensors they shows around 1000 ohm. Before that i was thinking about changing them all, just in case, but then i checked the price , over 300 euro each ! The price is not the problem, IF it would fix the ABS/ASC problem..

but how many smiles;-)

Svein

• My very similar problem was caused by dirty Pentosin filters. Because I have ASC+T I have a filter in the reservoir (replace this one) and one in a brass enclosure below the rad, This one is stainess steel and can be cleaned. Cheap fix if it works, maintenance if it doesnt. 8-)

• There are some words i dont understand here: dirty PENTOSIN filters? I have a filter in the RESERVOIR (replace this one) and one in a brass ENCLOSURE below THE RAD ? OK after a little search on the net i understand it is about the power steering. Thanks. I will flush the system and change the filter, hope that will fix the prooblem.

but how many smiles;-)

Svein

• Zitat von Wuffer;93746

My very similar problem was caused by dirty Pentosin filters. Because I have ASC+T I have a filter in the reservoir (replace this one) and one in a brass enclosure below the rad, This one is stainess steel and can be cleaned. Cheap fix if it works, maintenance if it doesnt. 8-)

[INDENT]Good point, but that is not relevant to the 840Ci as the ABS/ASC-T is a self-contained, inetgrated unit that does not require the auxiliary hydraulic system (Pentosin fluid) to power the ASC, as on the 850i.
    [/INDENT]
    If the problem is intermittent, it may be a wiring or bad-contact issue. However, I've always found that in reality, bad wiring or bad contacts usually tend to occur a lot less frequently than I imagined and often it's a real hardware fault. Therefore, I wouldn't completely discount the Control Unit. Once I had some starnge intermittent issues with another car and eventually found that the problem was due to a failed capacitor on the ECU.

New sensors, as you've seen are extremely costly. if you can borrow a Control Unit from someone then perhaps you can discount that completely.

However, with the ASC ligt comming on first, it could be an issue with the ASC valve circuit, as otherwise, the ABS light would come on at the same time, if it were a sensor fault.

It would really be useful to read some error codes, if you can.

• Did som diagnostic today. There was no error codes on the ABS/ASC... There was 3 on the DME : AFR, probably because of the bigger injectors... MAF: signal to high . I dont understand that.. because that was the reason to my tranny problem, and when i replaced the MAF with a new one, the problem was fixed. I also measured the signal from the new MAF , it diden exceed 5 volts. The last error code was : speed signal . I dont understand that either.. my speedometer is working, i have a "new" diff ... Maybe it is showing a little of.. Or are my speed measured from one of the ABS sensors ??

but how many smiles;-)

Svein

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!