Uk owners-changes to mot test2012

• I guess most of those are pretty normal but it's going to look like curtains for the HID crowd. I dont really understand the comment re bringing all of Europe in line...Varies so much from country to country. Ours must be the most stringent as it is

• Germany is very though, any parts fitted must have a TUV certificate/?

When I lived out there I had a DE registered car, on a trip home i had a 'Whitter 'tow bar fitted only to find I had to take it off in order to pass their equivalent to our MOT because I had no papers;-)

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Zitat von Nifty50;95419

Very worrying.

My cats were removed 12 years ago when I replaced the original system with a stainless steel one. I have no idea what the cost would be to have these refitted?

A member on BF has just replaced both sides with pattern parts £380 & is thrilled to bits, thinking of changing mine soon:driver:

• Zitat von stevep840;95420

A member on BF has just replaced both sides with pattern parts £380 & is thrilled to bits, thinking of changing mine soon:driver:

Hi Steve,

Can you please let me have the details if you are in contact with the guy. My car is garaged for winter but will need MOT in June. It doesn't look like there is going to be much choice.

Cheers
    Graham

• I warned everyone a couple of years ago about the imminent failure of cars fitted with aftermarket HID's. This has led to a drastic price reduction in the kits as they will soon all be literally worthless.

One to be cautious of for the E31 is the AHK warning light on rear steer cars as this fault will now write-off all but the cleanest cars due to repair cost.

Airbag lights could also pose quite a few problems.

Luckily, our cars never had tyre pressure monitoring as this is a dreadfully unreliable system on later BMW's so we will get away with that.

8Tech

• Zitat von 8Tech;95430

One to be cautious of for the E31 is the AHK warning light on rear steer cars as this fault will now write-off all but the cleanest cars due to repair cost.
    8Tech

Could maybe rewire the AHK warning bulb to the charge light ? :harhar:

• Zitat von 8Tech;95430

Remove the bulb... As if the MOT has equipment to read the AHK fault code memory or knows that there's a warning light that should light up until started ;-).

• Zitat von revtor;95436

Remove the bulb... As if the MOT has equipment to read the AHK fault code memory or knows that there's a warning light that should light up until started ;-).

My Old Grey 850 had a Non functioning AHK & an empty bulb holder:devilchilli::harhar:

• So in other words... We've been shafted again.....

Except....

Vehicles fitted with aftermarket HID systems must also be fitted with properly working washer and levelling systems.

So that's all right for us with washers and adjustable lights?

Not so good for us who had Cat's.... :banghead:

• Zitat von schnitz850;95439

So in other words... We've been shafted again.....

That was exactly my reaction when I first read it. Steve's news about the pattern parts is quite encouraging because I wouldn't spend £2K on cats. I would seriously think about just stripping the car for parts and walking away.

• Graham. Do you take it to the same centre for the MOT each time? Are they likely to get tetchy over this if they havent seen the car with CATS since you started using them?

• Zitat von sandwich;95448

Graham. Do you take it to the same centre for the MOT each time? Are they likely to get tetchy over this if they havent seen the car with CATS since you started using them?

The annoying issue with this is that back in 1999 when I needed a new exhaust, the guys at Powerflow said their was no need for the cats because the regulations didn't require cats for pre '93 models and this has been the case ever since. The trouble now is that they are saying, if it was fitted as new, then it must still be fitted.

I do have a friendly MOT centre and will make some enquiries because this is quite a significant matter. I'll let you know what I find out.

Cheers
    Graham

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!