Yay.. in-car simcard bought, handsfree etc works!

• I was thinking at the very least the hands free wouldn't work, or something. But after persuading the kind manageress of the local Vodafone store to sort me out a full size SIM (they had made some excuse not to give me one previously) I whacked it in and everything functions perfectly.. :devilchilli:

Admittedly this won't be used much but then again, I often find myself phoneless due to forgetting to charge my regular phone. And if you have the phone, its a bit daft to not bother making it functional.

• that's awesome you guys in europe received the GSM hands free system. I would not HESITATE rocking the factory phone system if it worked here in the states.

I wonder if I can retrofit the GSM system into a North American car...hhmmm.

CB42366- 91 850i Brilliantrot/schwarz nappa
    CD00144- 94 CSi Hellrot/schwarz nappa
    :devilchilli:

• Zitat von revtor;95669

CaifanSC: The factory GSM system will not work in the US. It's operating on the GSM900 band that was never available in the US.

I had to go back and double check as I thought there was a carrier in the US that used GSM 900 (I use AT&T which uses 850 so I remember Tmobile/Deutch Telekom used that "other" frequency with 900 on it). After checking, you are absolutely right...I was confusing the frequency...T mobile uses 1900, not 900. I guess i got confused since they have the same numbers.

There goes that idea

CB42366- 91 850i Brilliantrot/schwarz nappa
    CD00144- 94 CSi Hellrot/schwarz nappa
    :devilchilli:

• The "BMW" GSM was (mostly) made by Motorola in Germany and the wiring is very simple to retrofit. The system, particularly the transceiver, is pretty-much identical to their "international 2700". A newer version is the M900 (also BMW version of this with BMW cradle etc), which is dual-band and has pocketable handset.

The e31 kit, as factory fitted, has a handset that sits on top of the centre storage bin (covered) and the mounting parts are no longer available fom BMW. However, if you have no use for the small storage bin by the handbrake, you can neatly integrate an ejecting unit from an e39 or e38. These are available on the 'bay for around GBP-40.

The transceiver fits in the drop-down panel in the boot, alongside the audio amplifier and most cars will have prewiring for the transceiver. The pre-wiring includes power and radio-mute signals. Handsfree was an extra and has an additional wiring loom for the front speakers and microphone.

The good thing about the GSM unit is that, even though it's only GSM900, it has up to 8-Watts of output power (obviously designed for when there were fewer cell stations around), compared to the 1/4 Watt maximum of most hand-held phones, so the signal should always be good, even in remote areas.

Ofcourse, you will also require a sticky antenna on the rear window. For handsfree, the e31 system had front speakers with dual voice cones and a microphone situated in not a very good place, next to the MID unit.

However, being a Motorala unit, there are options for a smaller, better microphone to be placed at the top of the A-pillar and if you have an updated radio head unit, many will have an audio input for handsfree phone or, if not, there is the option of a separate (Motorola) speaker under the dash.

• I have a DECT in-car BMW phone in my X5 (2001) and while really retro these days, it works brilliantly using a TESCO Mobile SIM (keeping the sim in the carrier card). The only problem is that it will not read SMS messages correctly, but other than that, the signal strength is great and its much safer to use. I love old technology when it still works - I'm tempted to get a motorola brick and take it into business meetings too!

• Zitat von anguswolfendale;95683

I have a DECT in-car BMW phone in my X5 (2001) and while really retro these days, it works brilliantly using a TESCO Mobile SIM (keeping the sim in the carrier card). The only problem is that it will not read SMS messages correctly, but other than that, the signal strength is great and its much safer to use. I love old technology when it still works - I'm tempted to get a motorola brick and take it into business meetings too!

When these phones came out in the eighties i remember being a very proud owner having paid £1500:shock2:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!