Steering "knocking" and Reverse Alarm

• My car has been suffering from steering slap at very low speeds over very uneven surfaces (access to my house is over dirt track). Its a knocking noise that is amplified through the steering wheel. I checked all the steering joints, track rod ends etc and found some play in an Anti-Roll bar link. I replaced both front links but the "slap" was still there.

I got my wife to "wiggle" the steering wheel with the car on axle stands and lay underneath (the car that is!):naughty: to check the knuckle joint. All OK but I definitely could hear the tapping from the steering column. As my car is fitted with the electric moveable steering wheel I decided to tackle the collet nut that is around the splined junction on the column.

Using a fan viscous coupling spanner (36mm) I put the column in steering lock mode then tightened the nut gradually, stopping to check it hadn't impeded the electric movement of the column. Well this proved successful.

Whilst I was under the dash I decided to carry out the brake mechanism maintenance that is so well written up by Timm (as usual). This involved lubricating all the linkages (I used aerosol Silicon Grease). On doing the passenger side of the linkages, I noticed that the wiring to the Gong (panel under the glovebox) had a socket taped back along the wiring. On putting everything back together I decided to plug this into the shaped socket on the gong.

Now, when I put the car into reverse there is a "bong, bong, bong" alarm - which just ensures you don't accidentally slip it into reverse in a line of traffic!

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• Thanks Lloyd, I'll see if my work has sorted it - if not then that's the next place to look. Is it easy to get to? I presume it's just removing the heat shield from under the steering box?

Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002

• Zitat von Timm;101184

I thought only Japanese-spec E31's got the reversing gong!

That's correct, but BMW's way to "code" this feature is by (dis)connecting the 1-pin plug on the gong. Anguswolfendale reseated the plug on his E31 and got the J-spec reversing gong.

• The connector provides a convenient access point to the revesring signal required if you fit a radio with satnav, eg Becker Traffic Pro etc.

You can buy the crimp pins from the dealer which fit into that taped-up plug.

I also have a slight clonky noise on my steering, noticeable when travelling slowly over uneven surfaces. However, I've replaced EVERYTHING on the front suspension (including all arms, bushes, drop-links and roll-bars), except the centre steering link and its bushes. Must also check the collar nut again on the steering column.

• Zitat von arnie;101192

T
    I also have a slight clonky noise on my steering, noticeable when travelling slowly over uneven surfaces. However, I've replaced EVERYTHING on the front suspension (including all arms, bushes, drop-links and roll-bars), except the centre steering link and its bushes. Must also check the collar nut again on the steering column.

Arnie,
    Tightening this steering column nut has done the trick. No noise at all now. Certainly recommend you try this for your clonky noise.:top:

Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002

• If you are referring to the steering-column colar nut, you'll need to remove the lower part of the dash knee panel and then a large spanner is rquired to tighten the colar nut that will be visible in the lower part of the steering column, just before it exits the bulk head.

If you mean the bush on the centre steering-arm, I am not sure that is adjustable - it will need to be replaced.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!