CC67466 - This is it...

• Just over half a year ago it became known that CB57062 was more or less the only RHD E31 which came with a full compliment of leather including center console, door panels, seat backs, parcel shelf, A- & C-pillars and above all the dashboard.

Such sumptuousness is nothing special for the connaisseur of British luxury cars manufactured by Rolls Royce, Bentley or Aston Martin, hence it is quite puzzling why BMW did not offer any of this for the targeted clientele which was known for its fondness thereof.

Matter of factly BMW only produced around 60 RHD E31´s which had that "little bit more". Most of those cars were assembled in the last year of production.

Just over 20 went to OZ between 1997 and 1999 with the remaining near 40 cars destined for the UK. All but the above mentioned CB57062 came equipped with "Full Leather Stage 1" which included the center console and door panels on top of the normal leather upholstery.

Really all?

Well, not quite.

There was one (very) late build M62 which sports a "Full Leather Stage 3" in the Individual Data sheet.
    Stage 3 now also includes all seat bezels and seat backs, the rear parcel shelf, the A & C pillars and the headliner covered in Nubuck leather. According to the data sheet it does not include the dashboard.

CC67466 is amongst the last 25 8ers produced worldwide and came off the assy line only one week before the production eventually stopped for good.

This car is now for sale in London with 26k mls on the clock and for a mind boggling 20k GBP.

Normally a car with this leather equipment would have received wooden center console inserts. Those were never available for RHD cars hence the plastic parts are also covered in Marine blue leather!

Is it that much overpriced? I don´t think so. I´d go for it if I was looking. Definitely :D
    If you are looking for an E31 which marks the pinnacle of interior luxury - this is it... There is nothing that comes even close to it and considering the very low mileage the asking price is not that far away from that of other lesser equipped cars (which may be considered overpriced nevertheless).

Who is going to have a looksie and take plenty nice pictures of this luxury barge?

Cheers
    Reinhard

• What a stunner :cool: you wouldnt happen to know how much the stage 3 treatment would have cost?

One small thing, they've obviously gone to town with the leather but they're still gonna have a cold a$$ as they've not gone and ordered heated seats :laugh:

She's a wonderfull example, no question. I love the leather on the upper door cards and centre dash - I may have to investigate that when I get my car's interior replaced

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• Zitat von BBMatic;104813

In answer to your closing query:

me

If your able to take some pics I would be interested in seeing some more pics on the leather covered trim pieces. I presume the surround around the instrument cluster also had the leather treatment

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• Its annoying that the pictures are quite small..

One thing I'm not overly enamoured with, is the way the leather surround where the gear shifter is seems to end 3/4 way up -- obviously appears that the dashboard itself isn't leather - as Reinhard and the build sheet indicate.

However, the advert specifically mentions leather dashboard, 'artistic licence' with the vendors description, going by the photo.

A shame in a way because full leather dash would look beautiful.

• Zitat von reinhard;104806

If you are looking for an E31 which marks the pinnacle of interior luxury - this is it... There is nothing that comes even close to it

Reinhard, surely CB57062 comes close, or even exceeds it, seeing as it has the leather dashboard as well?

And I also assume that when you say that, you refer only to the UK RHD production vehicles?

Could I, in the interest of furthering the debate, ask you what is the most stunning interior (in your view) on an E31 you have personally seen that is not a museum car & actually in regular use? And if one springs to mind, (and you feel inclined) any pix are always appreciated because for me, the best interior = the best E31. I can't get enough of a crazy E31 interior.

• Zitat von "BBMatic"

surely CB57062 comes close, or even exceeds it, seeing as it has the leather dashboard as well?

CB57062 definitely has even more of it but unfortunately this does not seem to be for sale now ;)
    And yes, information only valid beyond the Channel.

The leather clad dashboard and instrument cluster cover are the first ones that show signs of age. Those were actually already visible on the pictures of CB57062 - in short: it is nice to have but a pain to keep.

The leather covered instrument cluster cover is nothing really worth mentioning ex Individual (CC67446 does not have it) - there is no stitching to emphasize the choice of material. Such can only be found on cars ex Buchloe (Alpina).

This picture shows the decorative stitching on the dashboard of CC41580, a Stage 3 car.

The one below shows some detail of the Alpina-exclusive stitching on the instrument cover cluster.

Unfortunately the Alpina made covers do not last a lifetime and many have warped hideously under the sun due to the intrinsic properties of natural leather which starts to shrink irreversibly around 70-80°C:

Some 60 odd cars also had the front bezel of the instrument cluster covered with leather. This works well where the colour of the instrument cluster cover matches:

If it clashes with the surroundings it takes some time getting used to :D

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Zitat von "BBMatic"

what is the most stunning interior (in your view) on an E31 you have personally seen that is not a museum car & actually in regular use?

In here is a pretty big PDF file showing interior shots of all Individual E31´s archived until August last year.

PDF can be magnified to at least 100% (was A0 formatted). I assume that most of those cars are in more or less regular use and only very few hidden away in a collection.

Quite a few of those interiors require no less than acquired taste :laugh:

One of the craziest - and to boot undocumented - interiors I have seen is an all Hazelnut leather orgy which made an appearance about two years ago in Sweden:

The "most stunning" with some likelihood is that of CB08553, one of the first official Individual showcases:

...where the use of leather goes on...

...seemingly forever :roll:

This is to date the only known E31 where "everything" was covered with leather, far and wide beyond "Stage 3". In the early 90´s this seemingly was just a matter of money. Later on such extravaganza was no longer in the order book.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Pity that - let´s hope someone reading here pulled that trigger and we can still hope to receive better impressions of the interior.

The Ebay ad ran for 3 weeks - pictures were taken on Sep 28 acc. to timestamp and there is a tiny notice in the ad saying: "Last updated on 30 Sep, 2012 14:42:20 BST"

Cheers
    Reinhard

• I have to confess, i *really* like the hazelnut orgy! :harhar:

But not CB08553, personally.. what I find a little confusing about that set of pix, Reinhard, is that the colour of the leather appears to be quite different in the last few pix etc, than in the actual interior. It also appears very suede-y in the last few pix.

• Boot compartment is in fact clad in Nubuck leather which, depending on the definition is included in "Suede"
    Nubuck is basically the same upper leather (shagreen) that we have on the seats etc. only treated in a special manner to receive a soft touch. Many other "Suedes" are not made from the uppermost layer of the skin but rather from grainless split leather.

Unfortunately Nubuck is also extremely sensitive to basically everything and quite honestly the worst choice possible for the boot :D

It is very nice for the headliner - CC67466 had the same in Marine blue...

Colour differences I am not sure about. In the early years the Individual data were quite bland stating "full leather acc. to <some number>" and did not detail what type of leather, what extent and what colour would have to be used.

For CB08553 it only states Magenta/Champagne which may have implicated the same for the boot compartment.

Cheers
    Reinhard

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!