CC67466 - This is it...

• Thanks again Reinhard. Well, re: CB08553, were it my car, regardless of materials used in different areas of the car, I'd be surprised and disappointed to receive a reddish boot area etc, when the interior of the car has a far more purpley tinge.
    And yes, nubuck, what a poor choice for any automotive trim frankly.

• Inspired by the idea (if not some of the colours), I've just bought a second hand binnacle cover to play with.
    My plan is black leather with stitching around the lip.
    If it works - great, if not, well, the original will still be untouched :harhar:

Will post results if/when they happen.......

• Zitat von ukzero;104934

Inspired by the idea (if not some of the colours), I've just bought a second hand binnacle cover to play with.
    My plan is black leather with stitching around the lip.
    If it works - great, if not, well, the original will still be untouched :harhar:

Will post results if/when they happen.......

Will you be continuing the leather across the centre vent?

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• Zitat von wayneblackwell1000;104945

Will you be continuing the leather across the centre vent?

I guess my description wasn't that clear. I've just spent £40 on the binnacle cover/hood section. If you'll excuse the 60 second sketch below, a picture paints a thousand words so they say :)

If it looks pants, I'll put the old one back.

• OMG - Er no I didn't.
    I kind of hoped the instrument section, being a separate piece on top, would come away without needing to remove the whole dash assembly.
    Is it due to hidden fixing lugs?
    Perhaps I could get brutal and or creative?

• Zitat von ukzero;104954

Perhaps I could get brutal and or creative?

Sure. If you know a really good contortionist you just need to break his/her arms a few more times then I assume you can reach the fixtures without dash removal :D

Truth be told - it won´t work even with a broken contortionist. :harhar:

It is nevertheless not that scary, the biggest problem being two hex head screws just in front of the windscreen next to the A-pillar covers and underneath something spongy.

This is one way to get to them:

Of course there are others but that was the quick one :toothbrush:

Once you have made a decision be advised that the center air grille needs to be taken out only after the dashboard has been removed else chances are pretty high that important plastic will break. This thing is around 500 GBP these days... :roll:

Have fun ;)
    Cheers
    Reinhard

• But this looks way more complicated :laugh:

Thanks for re-posting this amazing How-To!
    Absolutely tremendous guide for the task.
    Reminds me of that smell I have... :roll:

It sure seems scary and there will be a bucket full of screws and nuts but after all this is not Rocket Science. My memory is that the dash can be taken out within 2-3 hrs and put together in a little more time.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Thanks

After you have done it once, I think it's definately do-able again in a couple of hours. Looks a lot worse than it is and there is nothing that requires more than basic tools and a bit of patience.

I think I only lost one plastic tim cap by the end of the process.

• Thanks for the info guys.
    I've had an antifreeze smell since I bought my car in 2005.
    BMW did a pressure test back then and declared it leak free and declared the smell to be from a (non-existent) air freshener!
    It's never got worse, never caused misting, or anything else - but has never gone away either.

Looks as though this could be the nudge I needed to tackle this and play pimp my ride all in one go :)

Do either of you know if the binnacle cover is fixed to the rest of the dash by fixings or glued/welded?

• There´s plenty of plastic nuts holding things in place IIRC.
    You will also have to disassemble the whole snakey air business which in some places is held together by melting a plastic pin and squeezing it flat. This means you will have to break things nevertheless but eventually resort to improved methods like hot glueing ;)

It´s fun. Believe me ;)

Cheers
    Reinhard

• I asked Quarry motors if they had an instrument binnacle hood/cover (separate section of main dash) in any colour as it's to be leather trimmed.
    They said "yes" and at £40 including postage I thought it worth a go.
    I've just taken delivery of an actual instrument binnacle :motz:
    Looks as though this little project is doomed before it starts :oops:

• But that´s great for starters ;)
    40 is a steal for one of those and now you can experiment with the clocks, hands, lights and whatever you´d envision to change. :top:

The mating to the EKM can be broken with NCSDummy by Revtor, so you can use this easily as a replacement of yours... in theory you could even cover it in hides inside :laugh:

Next time just ask for the whole dashboard :D

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Zitat von ukzero;105185

I asked Quarry motors if they had an instrument binnacle hood/cover (separate section of main dash) in any colour as it's to be leather trimmed.
    They said "yes" and at £40 including postage I thought it worth a go.
    I've just taken delivery of an actual instrument binnacle :motz:
    Looks as though this little project is doomed before it starts :oops:

Will you have any use for this? My 850 may need a new cluster when I finalky get round to testing it. PM me if you wish to sell it. Thanks

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• wow, so is it a club member who owns that 8 with everything leather? Wow...leather-lined trunk. Now THAT's excess.

CB42366- 91 850i Brilliantrot/schwarz nappa
    CD00144- 94 CSi Hellrot/schwarz nappa
    :devilchilli:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!