Source for light gray headliner material

• Does anyone have a source for light gray headliner material. I can find the darker gray, but not the lighter gray.

BMW 850 CSi
    BMW 8er.org Clubs International (B8CI) Board Representative, USA and North America
    Editor, E31 NEWS International E31 Newsletter

• The OEM headliner in Light Silvergrey (up to 9/92) is still available. P/N: 5144 8156427 - cost is around 300 EUR plus taxes today (roughly 390 USD plus s&h, taxes)
    Considering that a similar good quality fabric will cost a bit and someone wishes to be paid for the work I assume it is not (much) more expensive buying ex BMW.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Zitat von reinhard;105419

The OEM headliner in Light Silvergrey (up to 9/92) is still available. P/N: 5144 8156427 - cost is around 300 EUR plus taxes today (roughly 390 USD plus s&h, taxes)

Do you just get the material or does it come attached to the board?

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• :laugh:

This sounds as if you´re expecting the worst.
    I hope nobody at the BMW HQ is reading this - they might just get another bright idea ;)

The recycling cardboard comes with the fabric and it will be assembled, almost ready to use. A few holes need to be cut for the mirror & panic handle. Those headliners are universal for RHD and LHD. Ask me how I found out :laugh:

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Reinhard - I actually have a new light gray headliner from BMW, but the problem is the following pieces:
    the Headliner and sliding headliner cover
    The rear deck - we are doing a custom install for the 3rd brake light so it has the thin LED brake light which has to be custom made, then covered. I am going to do something similar to ALF's B12 5.7 rear 3rd brake light, thus I will need to find fabric.

BMW 850 CSi
    BMW 8er.org Clubs International (B8CI) Board Representative, USA and North America
    Editor, E31 NEWS International E31 Newsletter

• Just checking, wouldn't want to turn up and find I was buying a roll of material, roll of foam and some glue. :)

Not sure I like the idea of having to drill holes in it though. :(

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• Well, it's not so difficult. Just need some (minor) tools, I did it with a Dremel, but it's also feasible with a good "cutter".

And remember to wear clean gloves and avoid touching the messy inside part of the roof during the installation process, or you will finish with a brand new and dirty headliner.

Ask me how I know... :banghead:

• BTW, I found the quality of the new headliner to be worst than the original one by far. Cardboard vs. true plywood. And not so perfect in the way it fits...

I saved the old piece to be retrimmed in the future, if necessary.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!